Update #39 - From the Feed of the Director Part III

I'm so happy to see that there is a real animation budget for Deadfire.

But I dunno, I've seen more developer interaction in Eternity, I'd like to see you guys more on these forums.

With the last game I think they needed more of a heading, and part of the first crowd-funding deal was very backer driven content. Now certain design decisions have been established, and I think the devs have a good understanding of how to foist up PoEs mechanics seeing as they actually made the first game not us. Plus they probably want to test out some ideas of their own and leave more as a surprise.

I'm sure they are quite busy working and socializing amongst themselves, so I'd rather us be their resource rather than the other way around.

I'm sure that even in PoE they had a roadmap and a plan. Developer interaction is important regardless of how they're approaching Deadfire. I believe Obsidian gained a lot from interaction during the development of PoE, even when they made different choices. Ultimately it's about respecting your base, which I believe this update does not.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Roadmaps vary in depth and solidity; Everything was thrown together in a very short period of time, It's in the dev documentary. That one existed is kind of a moot point.

I can't agree that this update is disrespectful, the only thing I really see is a difference in expectation. I would like more devs to interactive with the forum, but I also understand sifting through threads just to find some place to contribute is time consuming. Taking yourself out of your work flow greatly impedes productivity, especially with creative and technical work. I'd rather much of their spare time go to meetings and just maintaining well oiled work culture (fun with colleges / water coolering.) I say that because I've been there.

I like the update.

Seems like the world of pillars is finally getting a bit of humor which (I felt) was severely lacking in the first - well, compared to other games in the genre.

New animations and features are always welcome and silly stuff too as it helps to give comic relief. I won't say that PoE1 was missing personality becausr that would be wrong but it was a bit TOO dark and gloomy and I felt it was always missing something. Deadfire looks like it will have that something.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...