Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Lem Challenge.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Skrills

Skrills

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
I also completed the mission, starting with a fresh deck. I played with permadeath on, but ended up just forfeiting during a few untimely encounters after a handful of restarts. I definitely had trouble with Gogmurt and Nualia, but things went a lot smoother by the time I got to Xanesha.

Skrills

Skrills

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
Just completed the Hook Mountain Massacre on legendary with Lem. Everything took multiple tries except Here comes the Flood, but ended going back to that to pick up a better attack spell to defeat the ogres that would often get an additional 4 or 5 to their difficulty in the next scenario. The last villain beat me down a few times because I didn't roll well, and while I was capable of defeating him on any of my three runs where I had him on top of the deck in the last location, the ways the rolls went, I on,y actually got him when he didn't have any increase to his difficulty.
  • PinkRose likes this

Urtar37

Urtar37

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts

If this were S&S it would be possible, due to him being able to song his own checks.

Longshot11

Longshot11

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If this were S&S it would be possible, due to him being able to song his own checks.

He can, post-role. Even then, I shudder to think about people trying to slog through Legendary Thassilonian Sins. Best case, the final villain will be with Combat 45 / Arcane 38. Even with optimal deck and hand, the odds are overwhelmingly against you. (If they have overlooked this in coding the Legendary condition - you might luck into/arrange to fight Orsimandus last and beat him with a Diplomacy 14 check, but still...)

macurvello

macurvello

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Steam:Xayide

So, I'm giving this a try... I've just defeated scenario 1.3 Trouble in Sandpoint and things have been going extremely smoothly so far.

This is my first playthrough with a party below 5 members and I noticed the blessings timer is nearly inconsequential and the real challenge seems to be staying alive. I never have to do a single extra exploration... I have an Acolyte in my deck even!

That said, Lem can pretty much heal himself every turn he draws a spell (provided he has already drawn Cure at some point), so he's pretty much immortal.

I'm just wondering if, for that reason, Lem is the easiest character to go solo with. I may be talking crap here, just wanted to hear opinions. Which would be the hardest?

Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts

Background: at this point, I've soloed all the characters through the whole game on Normal, except for Ezren and Seoni. Obviously, that's easier than Legendary, but for what it's worth:

Seelah is, by far, the easiest character to solo. She does almost everything reasonably well, and nothing particularly poorly, which is far more important for solo play than having a character who does one or two things really well but the others are a bust. She's so good that not only did I solo her through Legendary with relative ease, she beat Karzoug on Legendary with a hand size of 4.

All the rest were quite decent at soloing, including Lem. Running a dual-Cure setup was more valuable, I think, then the single-Cure swap most people advocate. (Actually, I found that broadly true: two Cures in the deck make a character not only nearly invincible, but fearless.) Surprisingly, I found Sajan to be the hardest of the ones I've played. I'm not sure if it was bad choices or just bad rolls, but I lost scenarios with him more often than anyone else. But I suspect the real hardest characters will be one of the spellcasters, who both have massive strengths but definite weaknesses that are magnified in solo play, and who will additionally have a heck of a time beating the Attack-immune monsters later in the game, particularly on Legendary.

• macurvello likes this

macurvello

macurvello

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
Now you made me want to try woth one of those two on Legendary =P

Igeherd

Igeherd

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
Pffff.
Ezren with Horsechopper and weapon check boosting spells and flasks.
No problems with Attack immune monsters, however, lack of Blessings is infuriating...

macurvello

macurvello

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

So... I got my ass kicked in 1.4 and 1.5 haha. I acknowledge the difficulty now XD

So, I'm building my Lem with DEX instead of CHA. Is that a bad idea? I figured relying on my weapon would be more stable than relying on having attack spells in my hand...

Longshot11

Longshot11

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So, I'm building my Lem with DEX instead of CHA. Is that a bad idea?

No, you got the right idea, actually.  Due to his ability to swap from discard, Lem is often better off NOT recharging his spells anyway. Outside of combat, Charisma is useful for closing a couple of locations (but your Diplomacy bonus makes that pretty much guaranteed) and getting Allies (which are not crucial as in solo you don't need extra explores); Dexterity on the other hand will save your skin with a bunch of barriers.

Also, Lem would have a hard time beating some monsters' spell resistance - including Karzoug's; and having two combat spells for two-check monsters is a problem. Finally, Karzoug's statue will probably mess you up in solo if you've betting on Arcane.

macurvello

macurvello

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

So, I'm building my Lem with DEX instead of CHA. Is that a bad idea?

No, you got the right idea, actually.  Due to his ability to swap from discard, Lem is often better off NOT recharging his spells anyway. Outside of combat, Charisma is useful for closing a couple of locations (but your Diplomacy bonus makes that pretty much guaranteed) and getting Allies (which are not crucial as in solo you don't need extra explores); Dexterity on the other hand will save your skin with a bunch of barriers.

Also, Lem would have a hard time beating some monsters' spell resistance - including Karzoug's; and having two combat spells for two-check monsters is a problem. Finally, Karzoug's statue will probably mess you up in solo if you've betting on Arcane.

Well, as it turns out, Lem can only build his Dex up to +3...
I've just finished scenario 4.1 and my charisma is already +1, so I don't think that will be an issue anymore haha.

Anyway, I've been trying someone's suggestion of using two Cure spells and that has been working out pretty well, I don't have to swap at the beginning of the turn so that gives me more opportunities to use combat spells.

I've also put my card feats into Spells and items but I've wondered if an extra weapon would be nice. If I have to discard one due to damage or some other reason, I can have a backup which I can potentially swap for the better one in my discard. The problem is there are so many good items... I'm not sure if sacrificing an extra item slot for this is worth it.

Edited by macurvello, 21 April 2017 - 11:10 AM.

HungryShark6666

HungryShark6666

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

I'm curious, has anyone managed to do this and beat the great runelord Karzoug with Lem solo on Legendary?

It would require a completely thought out deck to try and avoid Karzoug until the end, though I fear that the burying would be too fatal for Lem.

If anyone completed that, he/she/it should really deserve a "Lem champion" title.

macurvello

macurvello

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

I'm curious, has anyone managed to do this and beat the great runelord Karzoug with Lem solo on Legendary?

It would require a completely thought out deck to try and avoid Karzoug until the end, though I fear that the burying would be too fatal for Lem.

If anyone completed that, he/she/it should really deserve a "Lem champion" title.

Challenge accepted. I'm in adventure 5 currently and progressing.

Avoiding Karzoug should be ok with augury, but burying a card every turn should be rough, yes.

• HungryShark6666 likes this

Hannibal_PJV

Hannibal_PJV

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
So you need explore speed. Enough healing and a lot of extra explore by discard or via a recharge spell aka haste. You have to burn the deck before the bury burn you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users