Main Character Story

So just finished the game, and I get the main story (Thaos is last Engwithan, protecting knowledge that gods are created by them).  But I don't really get the main characters (MC) part.  

So at start of game MC just happens to be around when Thaos is re-activating one of the devices to keep waidwen's legacy going.  How does this trigger MC becoming a watcher and remembering his past?  Or was it the wind with a weird name that just happened to go by at the same time, that MC survived due to his 'strong soul', that triggered it?  

If it is the wind that did it, I'm not sure why MC is so insistent on Thaos having the answers to his condition.  

In all of this, I guess it was just pure chance that one of the past lives of the MC was in the cult of Thaos, and the brother of the lady that found the secret of no gods?  From what I remember, this past life ultimately had no effect on the story, except allowing the MC to better find Thaos.  

At the very end after defeating Thaos, I thought there was going to be something about the MC curing his condition, but no.  The story became more about knowing the truth of no gods, and what to do with the souls of WLegacy.  I guess the MC is still destined to go crazy?  

Anybody want to do a MC summary?  

Speaking of the ending, I thought it was a little weak that Thaos just kind of walks up to you and starts fighting.  I mean, this guy has lived thousands of years and masterminded plots that have ended entire civilizations.  That's the best plan he can come up with?  Ok, a couple huge fighting statues which looked cool, but cmon, I figured some kind of crazy interactive fight, with him activating the machines to get power, or mental watcher fighting in some other dimension, not just a simple beatdown.  

It triggers his memory because his distant past life self had unresolved issues with Thaos and recognized him instantly bringing that past life to the forefront.  In addition the biawac hitting at the same time as the memory issue plus the explosion from the engwithan machine probably caused your soul to disjoint and almost fully awakened that old personality.  AKA: you became awakened and in such a strong way it turned you into a watcher.