Chance for a Arcanumesque sequel to pillars?

I was thinking the other day about what Tom Sawyer had been saying in alot of interviews about Eternity. How he didn't want it to be stuck in a particular point in time. So i'm thinking wouldn't it be cool if Eternity becomes succesful enough, that a sequel could take place maybe 100-300 years later and have societies that you know and love perish, grand temples and places you fondly remember dacyed and ruined nad your exploits but a mere memory. 

Also i happen to get this on my head because i just started playing Arcanum again ;)

Never knew Tom Sawyer was in an interview with poe as the topic. Mark Twain must have been a prophet.

Oh my god i just realized that typo :lol:

• Like 1

we wouldn't mind a steampunk game from obsidian... or dieselpunk or pony-express time period american frontier or any number o' other such settings. what we don't want from obsidian is a game that actual plays like arcanum. we enjoyed arcanum most before we actual played the game. arcanum were a horribly buggy game with dull characters and terrible balance that became monotonous extreme fast. our expectations based on following sierra boards, gaming sites and print publications were quite high; arcanum were most compelling before we got a chance to actually play it. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we wouldn't mind a steampunk game from obsidian... or dieselpunk or pony-express time period american frontier or any number o' other such settings. what we don't want from obsidian is a game that actual plays like arcanum. we enjoyed arcanum most before we actual played the game. arcanum were a horribly buggy game with dull characters and terrible balance that became monotonous extreme fast. our expectations based on following sierra boards, gaming sites and print publications were quite high; arcanum were most compelling before we got a chance to actually play it. 

HA! Good Fun!

I had a similar experience sadly... :(

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yes, Arcanum was buggy as hell and some of the characters were bland as hell 

BUT

The story line(s) were excellent, the writing was very well done and fitting to the setting. These tie into the mechanics smoothly as well. There are actually good opportunities to use each skill and because you really can't be both a magician and technologist there's ample room for replays.

There are many patches for the game that fix many of the bugs (not all) and even expansions for it; both of which show the potential the game has if it's done properly. I don't think that Arcanum needs a sequel, it just needs a deluxe edition where all the bugs are fixed and perhaps some aspects are rebalanced (the harm spell is so overpowered it doesn't even count as playing.)

Edited by dr membrano
  • Like 3

why would we wanna replay a game that were so boring? do boring 12 different ways? yippie. 

am not certain we agree with you 'bout arcanum story either. am s'posing you could look at plot and convince self that story were intriguing, but none o' that matters if we don't care about characters. troika made a wholly forgettable cast of characters for arcanum. some troika fans desperately cling to the notion that virgil were sooper-groovey.

*shrug* 

aracanum is significant for us 'cause never has we had such a clear disconnect 'tween expectations and actual gameplay enjoyment. the fallout guys making a steampunk game with an open world and loads o' replay value? you don't need to work too hard to sell us on that product. unfortunately, the troika guys committed the one (and possibly only) unforgivable sin o' game development: they made a boring game. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)