Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kill A Watt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Kill A Watt, for any who don't know, is a device (inexpensive) that lets you check out how much wattage/power a particular item is pulling. You plug it into an outlet, then plug the device into the meter. So if you're ever worried about whether your PSU is being overstressed, get one of these. Fun stuff.

My gaming rig at "idle" or light desktop activity (browsing, watching video, etc).
Posted Image
I was surprised at this because the gtx590 in reviews is rated at 150-180watts on "idle," I thought. Dunno what's up with that, they must use a different concept of idle.

Skyrim on the Ultra settings:
Posted Image

Metro 2033 on the dx11/max settings (tessellation etc.)
Posted Image

Posted Image
This one actually makes the air that blows out the back of the PSU feel fairly warm, instead of tepid.

So think I will eventually get an 850w PSU to be super-safe at some point...but it can wait a while.
...this is fun, I'll have to plug it into the other PC & compare. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson, 02 December 2011 - 08:30 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 5944 posts
lol I'm on my second 1200w psu

Slinky

Slinky

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1914 posts

lol I'm on my second 1200w psu

Posted Image

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7551 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
:lol:

...I'm sure if I was trying to SLI two 590's I'd be using a 1200-1500w PSU too. :shifty:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 5944 posts
Just make sure you know what your house/apartment can support and which plug connects to which amp. My old 1200w was causing brown-outs during christmas time when triple SLI was enabled, the new one is more efficient but i'm still cautious during this time of year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users