Kill A Watt

LadyCrimson

Kill A Watt, for any who don't know, is a device (inexpensive) that lets you check out how much wattage/power a particular item is pulling. You plug it into an outlet, then plug the device into the meter. So if you're ever worried about whether your PSU is being overstressed, get one of these. Fun stuff.

My gaming rig at "idle" or light desktop activity (browsing, watching video, etc).

win7pc-WattMeter-002.jpg

I was surprised at this because the gtx590 in reviews is rated at 150-180watts on "idle," I thought. Dunno what's up with that, they must use a different concept of idle.

Skyrim on the Ultra settings:

win7pc-WattMeter-003.jpg

Metro 2033 on the dx11/max settings (tessellation etc.)

metromaxsettings.jpg

win7pc-WattMeter-004.jpg

This one actually makes the air that blows out the back of the PSU feel fairly warm, instead of tepid.

So think I will eventually get an 850w PSU to be super-safe at some point...but it can wait a while.

...this is fun, I'll have to plug it into the other PC & compare. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

:lol:

...I'm sure if I was trying to SLI two 590's I'd be using a 1200-1500w PSU too. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts