[Quest] "Goods and Services" quest impossible to complete? (possible scripting bug)

Aerothorn

Question

There's a probably unintentional interaction between quests that makes the Principi quest "Goods and Services" impossible to complete (and by extension, all quests that may follow it?)

I got trapped in the Old City (slept past the elevator going up). As far I could tell, the ONLY way to get out was fighting through the undercroft - my characters were not able to stealth their way past the enemies, and there was no non-combat dialog options. I therefore had to fight at least a few enemies to get past.

Later, I got the quest "The Cornett's Call," and was explicitly told I ahd to use the elevator from Delver's Row. I did so and was attacked; there were, again, no non-combat options (this also made my reputation with the Princip take a major hit).

Then, after all this, I get the quest "Goods and Services." I'm supposed to go to the Undercroft and talk to someone, but everyone is hostile and there appears to be no way to talk to anyone (and fighting them futher sinks my reputation, even though it's only self-defense).

I realize the nature of the game is that you eventually have to pick sides, can't do every quest for everyone, etc; the issue here is that I never got to make a choice, the decision was forced by the seemingly-unrelated act of exploring the old city and sleeping.

• Like 3

10 answers to this question

I als

There's a probably unintentional interaction between quests that makes the Principi quest "Goods and Services" impossible to complete (and by extension, all quests that may follow it?)

I got trapped in the Old City (slept past the elevator going up). As far I could tell, the ONLY way to get out was fighting through the undercroft - my characters were not able to stealth their way past the enemies, and there was no non-combat dialog options. I therefore had to fight at least a few enemies to get past.

Later, I got the quest "The Cornett's Call," and was explicitly told I ahd to use the elevator from Delver's Row. I did so and was attacked; there were, again, no non-combat options (this also made my reputation with the Princip take a major hit).

Then, after all this, I get the quest "Goods and Services." I'm supposed to go to the Undercroft and talk to someone, but everyone is hostile and there appears to be no way to talk to anyone (and fighting them futher sinks my reputation, even though it's only self-defense).

I realize the nature of the game is that you eventually have to pick sides, can't do every quest for everyone, etc; the issue here is that I never got to make a choice, the decision was forced by the seemingly-unrelated act of exploring the old city and sleeping.

I also have this problem. Slept in the undercity and now cannot get out without making everyone hostile. 

Ok this is how i got out of it.

Sneak and go across the river using the rope. Sneak until you get to the "brawler" and then show yourself. He will engage dialogue.  If you have bluff at 4, you can convince him to take you to the captain. 

Edited by mmcaulay

Sneak and go across the river using the rope. Sneak until you get to the "brawler" and then show yourself. He will engage dialogue.  If you have bluff at 4, you can convince him to take you to the captain. 

Didn't have Bluff 4.  I tried using a drug that boosted it to 4 but the dialog option still didn't show up.  Figured I was in for a bunch of repeat stuff by having to go back to an older save....

However, I found one other way that is rather complicated.  It also requires one character with enough stealth to sneak by the watershapers in the courtyard near the stairs going up to Morena HQ AND a character that can use dimensional shift (luckily Aloth had this or it was in the grimoire).

Requirements

1 Stealthy Character

1 Character that can cast Dimensional Shift

The Process

1. Use your sneaky character and place them as close to just south of the staircase (past the watershapers) as you can; just on the edge of the hearing circle of the npc.  
  2. Get as close as you can to the target stealth character with your dimensional shift character.  A bit to the left the stairs on the opposite side of the watershapers in the courtyard.
  3. Cast dimensional shift on the sneaky character to move your caster.
  4. Move a non-sneaky character into place and use dimensional shift to move them past the enemies.  You now have one non-sneaky character past the watershapers on the left side of the courtyard.  Your sneaky character and caster are back on the wrong side.
  5. Repeat Step 1.
  6. Continue steps 1-5 until all your characters are past the watershapers on the left.
  7. There are two guys on the right side of the courtyard.  There is space to the right that leads to a boat.
  8. If you place your guy close to the fence you should be able to sneak around and down this path.  All my non-sneaky characters managed to do it.  If not, use the process above again to move everyone past the second group.
  9. Use the boat to exit area.
Edited by irongamer
  • Like 2

Didn't have Bluff 4.  I tried using a drug that boosted it to 4 but the dialog option still didn't show up.  Figured I was in for a bunch of repeat stuff by having to go back to an older save....

However, I found one other way that is rather complicated.  It also requires one character with enough stealth to sneak by the watershapers in the courtyard near the stairs going up to Morena HQ AND a character that can use dimensional shift (luckily Aloth had this or it was in the grimoire).

Requirements

1 Stealthy Character

1 Character that can cast Dimensional Shift

The Process

1. Use your sneaky character and place them as close to just south of the staircase (past the watershapers) as you can; just on the edge of the hearing circle of the npc.  
  2. Get as close as you can to the target stealth character with your dimensional shift character.  A bit to the left the stairs on the opposite side of the watershapers in the courtyard.
  3. Cast dimensional shift on the sneaky character to move your caster.
  4. Move a non-sneaky character into place and use dimensional shift to move them past the enemies.  You now have one non-sneaky character past the watershapers on the left side of the courtyard.  Your sneaky character and caster are back on the wrong side.
  5. Repeat Step 1.
  6. Continue steps 1-5 until all your characters are past the watershapers on the left.
  7. There are two guys on the right side of the courtyard.  There is space to the right that leads to a boat.
  8. If you place your guy close to the fence you should be able to sneak around and down this path.  All my non-sneaky characters managed to do it.  If not, use the process above again to move everyone past the second group.
  9. Use the boat to exit area.

worked great! thank you very much!

• Like 1

I was in the same position, explored the whole of old town etc. so too much time passed to return to the lift.

I ended up killing some of the people to get to the boat in the undercroft to leave the area. This obviously meant they were hostile to me when i came back for this goods and services quest. 

What I did was take my best stealth character (only 5 so it can easily be done), sneak past the guards in the courtyard area and go to the top of the stairs, there are like 5 guards at the top of the stairs (guarding the path to Morena) so its impossible to sneak past, with my sneak level anyway, so i threw some firecrackers which they all walked towards and then i walked straight up to Morena while still in sneak, hit space to pause, unstealthed and clicked to speak to her. 

Then when you are done talking to her so the quest has updated they are still hostile and will attack you, so use a potion of invisibilty which gives you enough time to run out of the area and leave, free to carry on with the quest.

I guess when I come back to hand the quest to her I will have to repeat this process to turn it in. 

Im guessing you can also just kill all the guards and then walk off leaving Morena alive so you can then walk back in stealthed, pause the game, unstealth and talk to her, then use the invis potion meaning you can circumvent having to sneak past everyone and use firecrackers.

I found another solution to this problem.

Dive in the temple, to find the cornett of waves/depths. Then, use it to open the 1st temple (with the boss inside). Killed the boss, and went deeper into the temple - which showed me the picture of some city. This made my quest continue (so it was as if Dereo hat ordered me to go into the ruins). Afterwards, all the pirates said, that I was sent by Dereo, and I was able to leave.

Hi Aerothorn,

Thank you all for the information, Ill get this added for Goods and Services so our programmers can fix.

Kind Regards,

-Caleb

Hi Caleb,

Do you know if this has been fixed? Because I am having the same issue now and cannot complete any of the quests around the undercroft area