I played the first PoE extensively on console and therefore have no access to the beta to test myself, so my question is if Iconic Projection is still game breaking/over powered to the point that it trivializes most encounters?

If you're unfamiliar with what I speak of simply turn on PotD, engage a group of enemies and fire off an Iconic Projection into them, on console at the very least the result is that almost every enemy will be chunked and the fight will be over before it started.

Which funny Iconic Projection did you use? :)

In my PoE on PotD it does mediocre "fixed" damage (no dmg roll) and heals. However, its advantage is that it only has to overcome 1/4th of enemy's freeze DR rather than the full freeze DR - for whatever reason. This seems to be the case for all "fixed" damage effects like Brutal Takedown, Thorny Roots and also Iconic Projection.

But hardly OP.

Maybe you remember an older version of the game where it bypassed DR alltogether?

However - the data in Deadfire is almost identical. If I remember correctly it does 18 (or 16?) base freeze damage and heals for 20 health. I don't remember the PEN value, but I didn't see any exotic I guess.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I just finished my latest playthrough on PotD about 2 weeks ago, maybe it's a console glitch as I have never played it on pc but I can say with certainty that it is broken, I tested it several times and each time the results were the same, if shot into a large group it would hit each target several to a dozen times resulting in them chunking in many scenarios, only seemed to work on groups though as when I tried it on single targets it behaved appropriately.

That's unfortunate, I feel as though if the problem only exists on console it stands less a chance of being addressed, I guess all I can do at this point is report it and hope for the best. I enjoy the effects of the spell grestly but when it trivializes encounters on PotD it leaves something to be desired.

• Like 1

Oh I forgot: I PoE it was a very fast cast which made it worthwhile for me. Spamming it around every few secs was fun and could make a difference in tough encounters.

In Deadfire it's a spell with 3 secs casting time if I remember correctly. So it's a lot slower.

@ Yenkaz yeah that's what I figure as well but if it's now 3 second cast as Boeroer mentioned then I feel it will be in a much better place than it is now, if it remains bugged on console that is, the fast cast and potential aoe heal in the orginal was what drew my attention to it in the first place.

Also the animation always reminded me of something out of DBZ

Nope. I mean besides the power level "scaling" all abilities have. But I don't think it was meh in PoE. As I said it's a fast cast and only has to overcome 25% of enemies' freeze DR.

In Deadfire it seems to be weaker.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Nope. I mean besides the power level "scaling" all abilities have. But I don't think it was meh in PoE. As I said it's a fast cast and only has to overcome 25% of enemies' freeze DR.

In Deadfire it seems to be weaker.

That spell wrecked most things weak to freeze in PoE.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."