Jump to content

Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New method for rolling dice. Feedback?


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1
Malto

Malto

    (0) Nub

  • Initiates
  • 2 posts

The goal of this method is a balanced curve and exciting rolls.

 

It is called Reload Dice.

 

It is designed for a Pen and Paper system with Skill-Levels from 1 to 8 and Difficulty-Levels from 0 to 14 (very easy to impossible).

You roll the dice, take the result, then add the Skill-Level and substract the Difficulty-Level.

The endresult determines the grade of success or failure.

 

 

1. The Dice

https://www.shapeway...tionId=41149089

(you will have to paint them)

 

You use 2D5 with rounded ends.

The dice have numbers from +2 to -2 and special symbols.

Each die always lands with 2 sides on top.
With each roll, the 4 sides together determine the result.
 
 
+2, +1, -1: You add the value to the result.
 
Loading Die:
= : Ignore the numbers on the Stacking Die. (Shield)
 
Stacking Die:
X : Ignore the = , when you roll both symbols. Otherwise no effect. (Break)
O: Change the = to an - , when you roll both symbols, disabling its effect and multiplying the number on the Loading Die by -1. Otherwise no effect. (Turn)
XO: O keeps its effect. Memorize the result on the Loading Die, roll again with both dice and add the prior result to the new result.
If result was 0, instead multiply by 2. (Repeat)
(-2): Ignore the other number on the Stacking Die. (Set)
 
Loading Die:       Stacking Die:
+1                          +1
=                             X
+2                           O
-1                           -1
+1                         (-2)
 

Loading:                Stacking:

+1/=                       +1/X

=/+2                        X/O

+2/-1                      O/-1

-1/+1                     -1/(-2)

+1/+1                     (-2)/+1

 

 

There are 25 different possible outcomes each time, you roll.
 
Main goal: excitement
 
 
2. The Curve
 
x means an additional roll.
 
4% I 8% I 8% I 16% I 20% I 16% I 8% I 4% I 4%  I 4% I 4% I 4%
-3    -2     -1      0        1         2       3     x+2   x+1   2x    x-1   x-2
       -2     -1      0        1         2       3
                        0        1         2
                        0        1         2
                                  1
 
Main goal: motivation
 
 
3. Success and Failure
 
Endresult = Dice result + "Skill-Level" - "Difficulty-Level" (Difficulty can change with circumstances)
 
-3:      Critical Failure
-2, -1: Failure
0:       Barely made it
1, 2:   Success
3+:     Critical Success
 
Skill- and Difficulty-Level differences: Critical Success, Success, Barely made it, Failure, Critical Failure
                              C.S.  /     S.   /    B.    /    F.     /  C.F.
Difficulty -6:        ~100% /  ~1%  /   v.s.   /   v.s.  / very small
Difficulty -5:         ~95% /  ~5%  /   v.s.   /   v.s.   / v.s.
Difficulty -4:         ~85% / ~15% /  ~1%  /   v.s.   / v.s.
Difficulty -3:         ~75% / ~20% /  ~5%  / ~1%   / v.s.
Difficulty -2:         ~55% / ~30% / ~10% /  ~5%  / v.s.                     very good success chance (95%)
Difficulty -1:         ~30% / ~45% / ~10% / ~15% / ~1%                   good success chance (85%)
Difficulty equal: ~10% / ~45% / ~20% / ~20% / ~5%                  normal success chance (75%)
Difficulty +1:          ~1% / ~30% / ~25% / ~30% / ~15%                 poor success chance (55%)
Difficulty +2:           v.s. / ~10% / ~20% / ~45% / ~25%                  bad success chance (30%)
Difficulty +3:           v.s. /  ~1%  / ~10% / ~45% / ~45%                  very bad success chance (10% and often critical fail)
Difficulty +4:           v.s. /   v.s.  /  ~1%  / ~30% / ~70%
Difficulty +5:           v.s. /   v.s.  /   v.s.  / ~10% / ~90%
Difficulty +6:           v.s. /   v.s.  /   v.s.  /  ~1%  / ~100%
 
Difficulty-Level 14 (Impossible) is always a fail, when tried alone.
Not every action must have a possible outcome for a critical success or failure. Critical results will then count as normal success or failure.
 
Main goal: balance
 
 
4. Conclusion
 
Characters can try doing actions within their skill range. Preferably, they will mainly do actions with a good success chance or better.
The dice are important, but the main role plays the character.
 
The curve offers a good range of possible outcomes and tries to be realistic, while adding excitement.
 
A good (4) Archer will hit a tough (3) target most of the time, but still also has a slight chance to miss a normal (2) target and can also miss an easy (1) target at maybe one out of hundred or twohundred shots.
If he really has to, he can try hitting a very difficult (5) target, or maybe he will try to change the conditions to lower the difficulty.
 
These are some examples for difficulty levels.
I just came up with some words for the numbers, I had, so this is more like an example.
 
The Skill- and Difficulty-Levels:
 
0   very easy
1   easy                        1 poor 
2   normal                     2 bad
3   tough                       3 normal
4   difficult                     4 good
5   very difficult             5 very good
6   exceptional              6 incredible
7   heroic                      7 excellent
8   colossal                   8 legendary
9   titanic
10 critical
11 nearly impossible
12 crazy
13 mad
14 impossible
 
For attacks, the Reload Dice would be used for hit chance (fail, miss, glancing blow, hit, critical hit) and a 3rd dice for damage.
The defenders evasion ability could represent the Difficulty-Level for the attack for example.
 
Main goal: fun
 
 
What do you think?
 
I will also post my character sheets, when they are finished, but the dice can also be used with other systems, I think.
 
On shapeways.com you can buy one dice for about 5 bucks and one would need at least 4 of them. (Maybe only 2 or maybe 2 for each player)
Fine permanent markers in 3 different colors are also needed.

Edited by Malto, 13 April 2018 - 10:29 AM.


#2
Gizmo

Gizmo

    (7) Enchanter

  • Members
  • 886 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Doesn't Fallout already work like this? (...I mean effectively so. Its system uses weighted percentile; complete with skill level and difficulty penalty.)


Edited by Gizmo, 16 April 2018 - 03:57 AM.


#3
Malto

Malto

    (0) Nub

  • Initiates
  • 2 posts

Cool, can you give me links? I only found a fallout game using d20.

 

Update:

I modified the dice, to give them a smaller range and 2 dimensions

There is no O (Turn) anymore and (D/X) now is Repeat

X now also reduces success rating by 1

A is advantage and doesn't change success rating

D is disadvantage and reduces success rating by 1

 

To make it more simple

-1, D and X are black

+1, +2 are red

A and = are yellow

 

Loading:

A/=

=/+1

+1/-1

-1/+2

+2/A

 

Stacking:

-1/-1D

-1D/-1X

-1X/-1

-1/ +1

+1/-1

 

 

The Curve

 

'4%: -2

12%: -1

32%: 0

24%: 1

'8%: 2

'4%: x+2

'8%: x+1

'8%: 2x

 

 

Failure: -1 and lower

Success: 0 and higher

A and D replace critical success and failure and can add more effects

 

Higher chance for success and advantage

Pretty curve is pretty ^^

 

This is still WIP, since the = doesn't really have an effect 4 of 5 times...

 

 

 

Here another possibility

 

Loading:

A/=

=/+1

+1/-1

-1/=

=/A

 

Stacking:

x2/-1

-1/XD

XD/XD

XD/+1

+1/x2

 

The Curve

 

8%: -2

20%: -1

24%: 0

20%: 1

'8%: 2

'4%: x+1

'4%: x-1

12%: 2x

 

Repeat is XD/XD in this case



#4
Gizmo

Gizmo

    (7) Enchanter

  • Members
  • 886 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cool, can you give me links? I only found a fallout game using d20.

I don't have any links... other than to the Fallout game manual.
http://www.nma-fallo...lout-manual.62/

If I understand it... Certain situations can impose a difficulty penalty that subtracts from the character's maximum skill proficiency, such that they make the skill roll at their proficiency —minus the penalty (if any). Fallout's skill levels can be as high as 150%; (as high as 300% in Fallout 2). So if the skill were at 120%, and the situation had a penalty of -40%, then the roll is made at 80% proficiency.

Success is capped at 95%; the points above 95% are strictly for negating any penalties. If the penalty was -10%, with 120% skill, that would leave 110%, but the roll would still be done at 95%, —because thats the highest allowed chance for success.

Skill penalties can come from unusual difficulty, distance, the level of light (as opposed to darkness) in the area, to even the game settings themselves... Easy mode will add a bonus to skill rolls, and hard mode will add a penalty to them.

This is how it appears to work... Of course someone who has examined the innards of the game might have a more precise (or even contrary?) explanation.

Edited by Gizmo, 16 April 2018 - 10:47 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users