Wanting to play this before the sequel... But I am not good at these games...

I always wanted to play a game like this, so I bought it on my Xbox One X while it was on sale.

I've had it on PC before, but I was SO bad, I do not really think I'm good at it.

Any suggestions for a rookie player? I plan to play my first run on the easiest difficultly. 

I would LOVE to make either a Cipher or a Hunter (Lion pet sounds fun) Cipher seems cool and I thought I read you can give them a pistol, which is kinda neat.

Any tips to get me started? Anything to help push me a bit. The farthest I ever got was a bear cave.

Pro tip: don't go into the bear cave. :)

It's quite tough.

Come back later with more party members.

Is the game too hard? Or don't you know how to play these games?

I don't know about too hard, but I just feel it's a lot of information. I assume building your character well is important. I don't know what's best for what really for stats and classes. Yes it TELLS you, but in my experience that is more of a push to get you going rather than "That is always what you'll do".

Right. Well it IS a lot of information. :)

Just start on normal and pick what sounds best. You shouldn't have too many problems. During the game you'll understand better and better - maybe you want to restart, maybe not.

The game boils down to:

Accuracy vs. defense. Buff your accuracy and debuff enemies' defenses before you start to let your fists fly. If you do that you can't go exceptionally wrong. Watch out for spells/abilities/talents that grant bonuses to accuracy and also for those which disable/lower defenses/cause afflctions.

That's most important. Only then look at stuff like damage, health/endurance, armor and so on.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Right. Well it IS a lot of information. :)

Just start on normal and pick what sounds best. You shouldn't have too many problems. During the game you'll understand better and better - maybe you want to restart, maybe not.

The game boils down to:

Accuracy vs. defense. Buff your accuracy and debuff enemies' defenses before you start to let your fists fly. If you do that you can't go exceptionally wrong. Watch out for spells/abilities/talents that grant bonuses to accuracy and also for those which disable/lower defenses/cause afflctions.

That's most important. Only then look at stuff like damage, health/endurance, armor and so on.

Ok... I can start with that then.

Thank you for the advice. It seems like a great game ( I have it on Xbox One X ) so I'm hoping I really can get into it this time around. 

I always wanted to play a game like this, so I bought it on my Xbox One X while it was on sale.

I've had it on PC before, but I was SO bad, I do not really think I'm good at it.

Any suggestions for a rookie player? I plan to play my first run on the easiest difficultly. 

I would LOVE to make either a Cipher or a Hunter (Lion pet sounds fun) Cipher seems cool and I thought I read you can give them a pistol, which is kinda neat.

Any tips to get me started? Anything to help push me a bit. The farthest I ever got was a bear cave.

You should go to the bear cave once you have a companion or two, and gain a level. :) 

Also, you won't die much (or at all) if you follow the paths step by step. I recommend this;

First go to Gilded Vail (rest in an inn, do some quests that are inside the village),  then go to the sea sight (Anslog Compass) after you've taken the quest from one of the pregnant ladies (no spoiler ) , then go to Margren's Fork, recruit Durance and party, in Black Medow, kill bandits and take supplies back to the blacksmith in Gilded Vail.  on to Cad Nua. Here you'll find Kana. Recruit him, then go inside the keep, then stairs down and find Merawold then go back to talk with the statue (steward), THEN you can go further down again, but just enough so you find Kana's tablet, finishing his quest. I recommend you return to Cad Nua and solve Master Below at a much higher level. 

Just make sure you explore pretty much everything in the area, so you get XPs and stuff...BUT! Avoid the following at a low level or when you don't have many companions;

*Bear Cave

*Cad Nua bellow

*White March until you're at a decent level (If you think you're bad at the game, I'd wait till level....12. I think.)

*Don't do the dwarf's companion's (Sagani's) quest until you're at chapter 3 (after Defence Bay.)

*I guess you should avoid the Ethos temple in Gilded Vail until you have Edar too. 

Spend a lot of time doing quests in Defence Bay, since they're easy, inside the city walls. 

Additional information;

1. You can hire adventuresses to join your party at any innby talking to the barkeeper. (I personally don't do that but, you might want to do this early on in Guided Vail since you only get 2 companions there. 

2. In guided Vail, you won't get the second companion until you've taken a rest. Anywhere, either in inn or or outside with camping supplies. 

3. Before making your character, you can google which build is best for the class (best stats i mean). 

4. If you play on story mod, you have unlimited camping supplies which is  a big plus. Camping Supplies restore both health and lost endurance. And endurance is important because once it hits 0, your companion (or you) dies. 

5. You should tinker around in option menu, giving yourself some advantages such as 'no knock down injuries'.

6. Click on your and your companions portraits then click on the button on them. Make sure Edar has 'Hold ground', Durance has 'Healing' etc etc.....and make sure they're all aggressive, meaning they'll attack right away (IF you have IE turned on - or what cha call it??)

7. With EI or IE or whatever it is, it's the blue head button besides your party portraits. Just click on it, and leave it green. 

8. You can control when the game will auto-pause in the options menu. You can also control combat speed there, that should helps lot! 

But really, if you're deciding to play on story mod and have companions have a mind on their own (even if they are a bit dum dum dum), half my advice will go waisted and you will probably end up playing in pretty much real time if you follow the road because well...easy peasy lol. 

If you don't want to play on story mod though....just make sure you pause long enough to read the information displayed on the enemy (which you'll get by hovering your mouse over it), and taking some times to read the spells and tenabilities your companions have. Just in case you don't even know where that is (in case, i don't mean to offend), you get them by clicking the companion portrait. Wizards for example, have lvl 1, lvl 2 etc spells. And the higher the level the spell is, the more powerful it would be. BUT, take note that spells and such cost you, and you can only regain all of them by taking a rest (either via camp or inn). :)

Hope this helps too! Now...back to my play-through! xD (Amazing game with a great story and companions....you won't regret playing it!!!)

Oh , i forgot to mention! Make sure to pick up everything and then in inventory, right click on your weapon and armour to upgrade it! Do this quite often, but alos, if you find a weapon that's more expensive, just place that on your weapon slot (or armour slot if it's an armour) instead. 

But keep in mind it's better to have light armour or even robes for wizards and priests. For a cipher or hunter (Ranger) I suggest medium armer as well. Or maybe even light since you won't be in the centrer of things. You'll be doing ranged combat while your companion will be up close. 

As a noob with less than a week playing, the things i've learnt are:

1. If you can't beat it just come back

2. Don't hold your "per rest" abilities too much, you'll just take more damage and have to camp anyway.

3. Through experience you'll learn what are tough enemies for you, if its easy then try to just use your per "encounter abilities".  If need a little more "umph" try and use abilities from the character who has the most left.  Rather than a dmg spell from your wizard you could use a accuracy buff from a priest for example or the other way around.

4. Learn the defence types so you can switch weapons and pick the best spells to hurt that type of enemy.  If you haven't fought them before so just have ??? then look at the damage messages and try to figure out if they immune or have a high DR for that damage type.

5. You don't have to charge in as soon as you see the enemy, if they're all melee you could let them come to you, especially if there is a choke point.  I set my melee front line on defend self or defensive so they don't go charging in.  This can give time for spell casters to cast longer spells to buffs your members whilst grouped and/or debuff/dmg the enemy before they can even hit you.  I like to do this if i'm using AOE spells that would hurt my own members so they don't go charging into a wizards chill fog, ranged units can be more aggressive since most will have longer range than the AOE'd area.

6. Don't just focus on damage+healing spells.  As Boeroer mentions accuracy and buffs/debuffs are also important, damage you don't take is better than healing and you can't do damage if you can't hit them.