[MAC] Major performance issues (unplayable!) with recent BB4 update

Crucival

Question

Hi all-

Running OS X 10.11.6 on an iMac with a 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB of RAM. Deadfire beta performed fine for me with all previous versions.

But after the latest Beta update, I'm seeing major, constant performance issues. There's a noticeable delay of almost a second between clicking or pushing a key and the game responding, the framerate is stuttering, rendering the game unplayable. It was particularly bad during character creation , but didn't get better once the game started. I can barely select characters, or issue commands much at all because the game can't register my clicks unless I hover over a spot, click the mouse, and wait a second without moving the mouse in order for the click to register in the right spot. And if I do manage to issue orders, the characters move at a snail's pace with choppy, stuttering animations. Even scrolling the screen is jerky.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Ditto. I am in the middle of testing this game on three separate mac os x machines and they all have varying levels of poor performance. What are the hardware/software specifications for your 2017 machine? 

right now I'm testing it on the oldest machine : MacBook pro 2011 w/ 2.8 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 and a samsung evo ssd. software version is 10.12.6 (low Sierra) 

It was crashing at the initial new game screen - more than just the first time - but I reduced the frame refresh rate to 60 and disabled the auto frame rate detection feature. it can now get to the first character creation page.... and 5 minutes after clicking, page 2! not recommended 

I'm also getting this. It's not unplayably bad (and definitely better than other people here are reporting), but considerably worse than the previous betas. 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB, running OSX 10.13.3.

I just figure the movement code hasn't been optimized in the beta. Where I have major problems is when I have it set in fast mode. Then I have characters get stuck when I am moving long distances.

I can't imagine the code being all that different from PoE 1, so I have faith in the final game being smooth. I hope I am not wrong. I just wish fast mode was tad faster. I hate it when much of my game time is spent waiting for travel time. Seems unnecessary in a game that doesn't have a random encounter system built-in or areas that re-populate.

Joe