[Fighter multiclass tank/caster] Help me design/brainstorm this character

The way I'm looking at it is that I will have a number of different programmed chants which I will switch to depending on the situation.

So I'll have an Ancient Memory chant for when I need healing, one for doing damage, one for protecting against charm, etc etc.

I think it's going to be pretty neat.

I just can't decide between Fighter or Paladin.

I'm thinking that maybe if Obsi stick with the Strength/Resolve divide then I might go Paladin, to emphasise the character's healing/support attributes, since with relatively low strength my damage won't be a priority.

On the other hand if Obsi remake it to Might/Resolve then I might go Fighter, to make more use of the weapon damage.

Then again I might do something completely different, I'm not sure.  It's a tricky one to decide, both classes are so cool.  I'm almost certain that Skald is going to be the 2nd class, though.

Have you considered a Monk for Blade Turning and Soul Mirror?

Apparently, with those two abilities, you can reflect melee and ranged attacks, if I have heard correctly.

EDIT: In addition, what about the Beckoner subclass? Being able to summon a good few monsters regularly should help keep the enemy away from the backline, right?

Edited by hansvedic

Apparently, with those two abilities, you can reflect melee and ranged attacks, if I have heard correctly.

EDIT: In addition, what about the Beckoner subclass? Being able to summon a good few monsters regularly should help keep the enemy away from the backline, right?

No, I don't like the idea of fighting with my fists for my main character.  I like the progression of getting a new weapon and so on.  Also, I want to use a shield in order to tank better.

I also don't like the summoner archetype as my main character because I want him to do the killing and the tanking and the supporting, not to summon creatures to do it for him.

I'd go for a summoner for one of my buddies, but not in this playthrough, I'll probably use it on my POTD playthrough.

No, I don't like the idea of fighting with my fists for my main character.  I like the progression of getting a new weapon and so on.  Also, I want to use a shield in order to tank better.

I also don't like the summoner archetype as my main character because I want him to do the killing and the tanking and the supporting, not to summon creatures to do it for him.

I'd go for a summoner for one of my buddies, but not in this playthrough, I'll probably use it on my POTD playthrough.

Has something changed since Pillars 1? I thought that monk abilities worked with weapons, as well. My only point was to say that, in addition to doing damage the normal way (and potentially with retaliation), you could make a tank that also turns attacks back against their foes, melee with Blade Turning and ranged with Soul Mirror (and hopefully another item like Aila Braccia).

Fair point about not wanting the summoner archetype, though.

EDIT 2: I suppose that if the Blade Turning ability only works with fists, then that would be a major disappointment and a fair reason to avoid the monk class.

EDIT: In case you haven't read about Blade Turning, here is a link to a partial discussion on it: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94209-multiclassing-a-paladin-tank-and-party-composition-in-general/page-2

Edited by hansvedic

Has something changed since Pillars 1? I thought that monk abilities worked with weapons, as well. My only point was to say that, in addition to doing damage the normal way (and potentially with retaliation), you could make a tank that also turns attacks back against their foes, melee with Blade Turning and ranged with Soul Mirror (and hopefully another item like Aila Braccia).

Fair point about not wanting the summoner archetype, though.

EDIT 2: I suppose that if the Blade Turning ability only works with fists, then that would be a major disappointment and a fair reason to avoid the monk class.

EDIT: In case you haven't read about Blade Turning, here is a link to a partial discussion on it: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94209-multiclassing-a-paladin-tank-and-party-composition-in-general/page-2

I appreciate the effort you're putting in here mate but I really don't want to make a Monk =)

• Like 1

I appreciate the effort you're putting in here mate but I really don't want to make a Monk

Fair enough. There are plenty of reasons why one wouldn't want to play a monk. The whole "vibe" may not fit, the thing about "taking damage in order to gain resources" might be putting you off, whatever. All good.

But please don't say the reason is because monks have to use fists. That's wrong and thus can't be a reason.

As a sidenote: it's also not the lore of PoE that every monk uses fists. Actually one of the best shields in PoE is from monks (Aila Braccia). The Greenstone Staff is for monks and so on.

Monks can use all their abilites with any weapon or fists. There is no drawback when using weapons as a monk. Transcendent Suffering is just a free bonus. Actually, now with Deadfire (since Torment's Reach is a Primary Attack only) certain monk builds are even better off with a two hander.

Please understand that it's somewhat frustrating that one has to repeat that all the time since the release of PoE so that new players don't get a false impression.

The next thing would be that somebody says she/he doesn't want to play a monk because monks can't use armor. ;)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I appreciate the effort you're putting in here mate but I really don't want to make a Monk

Fair enough. There are plenty of reasons why one wouldn't want to play a monk. The whole "vibe" may not fit, the thing about "taking damage in order to gain resources" might be putting you off, whatever. All good.

But please don't say the reason is because monks have to use fists. That's wrong and thus can't be a reason.

As a sidenote: it's also not the lore of PoE that every monk uses fists. Actually one of the best shields in PoE is from monks (Aila Braccia). The Greenstone Staff is for monks and so on.

Monks can use all their abilites with any weapon or fists. There is no drawback when using weapons as a monk. Transcendent Suffering is just a free bonus. Actually, now with Deadfire (since Torment's Reach is a Primary Attack only) certain monk builds are even better off with a two hander.

Please understand that it's somewhat frustrating that one has to repeat that all the time since the release of PoE so that new players don't get a false impression.

The next thing would be that somebody says she/he doesn't want to play a monk because monks can't use armor. ;)

Wait all abilities?  Even Swift Strikes?

• Like 1