Wouldn't it have been better if the Thaos-concept was used for the hero? (spoilers if you haven't finished PoE1)

It would be difficult to roleplay a character with centuries worth of memories. Such a character would have access to a wealth of knowledge about the world’s history that the player never could, not to mention an unfathomable perspective. I don’t think it is a good idea.

Basically, there is no way for the game to present having 2 millenia worth of knowledge about the setting to the player. This is why PoE made the Watcher a foreigner to the Dyrwood- they are supposed to be ignorant of the setting and the player learns about it along with the character. This would not be possible if the character was basically the Nameless One from PS:T with his memories intact. 

Basically, there is no way for the game to present having 2 millenia worth of knowledge about the setting to the player. This is why PoE made the Watcher a foreigner to the Dyrwood- they are supposed to be ignorant of the setting and the player learns about it along with the character. This would not be possible if the character was basically the Nameless One from PS:T with his memories intact.

Very true.

I did like how they presented the Thaos/Iovara backstory in Pillars though. Just enough freedom to make it your own without having so many as to rule out reactivity. I hope to see more of that in Deadfire

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I think it'd be cool if in game you were the reincarnation of Thanos after the Watcher killed him in PoE. You awaken and have free will to either try again with Woedica or choose a new path.

That sounds better than you are the same person as from PoE but lost all your powers for reasons ...