Bad Balancing--Psychic Blast; and a bit of a ramble on Good Ol' Pillars

Hello, fellow PoE lovers,

I am the kind of player that plays PoE on Path of the Damned, expert mode and loves it. My watcher was level 5 when he and Co. were fighting against the Ogres in the Endless Paths. He was level 7 when he was facing the fampyrs a few levels below and managed to reach the Adra Dragon by level 10 while all the rest were level 9. Without surprise the Adra Dragon just handed his ass promptly back to him, lol. No problems here.   

I say this because I've always found a method to every encounter I've come across and am willing to put in the work. The companions offer a lot of adaptability and different party compositions have very different strengths and weaknesses. I find the core companions to be quite adequate, and I only needed to recruit one hireling--an aumaua rogue using three arquebuses, an axe and a dagger, and I don't even use her all the time, too(her name is Umayaremayami, if you're curious--a Rautai raider). However, I have reached a bit of a puzzle to me. I still haven't done a lot of tries on it, but it does look quite nasty. I will definitely need to put more thought into it. I am talking about the bounty for Sserkal, the Vithrackian Exarch. From the get go, I can see that there is a way to cheese the AI(I just need to do the work to find exactly how), but I don't want to do it. That, however, makes me think that to win this fight fairly you basically need the vithracks not to use their psychic blasts. I can see how a character with a 130 + will is getting stunned for 10 seconds!!!! What the actual ****?!!! It's not easy to go above that number, and you need it across the whole party, while they just have an easy area of effect instant stun skill/spell. They also have no problem paralyzing party members with 100 + fortitude on grazes, but there is a prayer against that, so it's not too bad. To be honest, if the psychic blast wasn't that terribly designed, the thing would be quite doable and enjoyable, too. Thing is, this skill is so broken that I suspect you actually need to cheese the A.I. now. I think charge in with a suicider and pick them with range, while they are stunning themselves(stupid). I find that a bit poor, though. There are a few other bits and bobs I think are a bit broken on PoD. If you're curious, I think the accuracy boost for mob spells(especially Adragans) is way too large, and opposing druids become way too powerful(just sort of universally good without weaknesses, other than poor A.I, which just chooses the bad spells to use), but I digress now.

Do you think(I know it's not going to happen) that PoD needs a bit of a number rebalance?

What about a system(for the future) that reduces not only the chance to get afflicted with a particular status, but also reduces the longevity based on how invested you are in a particular defence--the more you have, the shorter the duration. Even though it's not hit and miss with PoE(50/50%), I'd really love to see a system where you're rewarded more for investing in stats. What are your thoughts on that? 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

In Deadfire you can tune down afflictions with inspirations and resistances. For example a char who is resistant to dexterity afflictions and constitution afflictions (through racial feats or ability choice) can't be paralyzed or stunned any more. Instead, paralyze and stun get tuned down to a less powerful affliction.

However: I found that special bounty not very hard to beat on PoTD. :) There is always a potion or a scroll if you forgot to bring a priest. Sadly there is no scroll against stun, but a potion (-50% affliction duration) helps and so do certain items (Blaidh Golan, Little Savior, the helm of the Sanguine Plate, the Solace shield and so on).

Also,it's very easy to charm one of the adds so they get all the stuns instead. Or drop a summon as cannon fodder.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In Deadfire you can tune down afflictions with inspirations and resistances. For example a char who is resistant to dexterity afflictions and constitution afflictions (through racial feats or ability choice) can't be paralyzed or stunned any more. Instead, paralyze and stun get tuned down to a less powerful affliction.

However: I found that special bounty not very hard to beat on PoTD. :) There is always a potion or a scroll if you forgot to bring a priest. Sadly there is no scroll against stun, but a potion (-50% affliction duration) helps and so do certain items (Blaidh Golan, Little Savior, the helm of the Sanguine Plate, the Solace shield and so on).

Also,it's very easy to charm one of the adds so they get all the stuns instead. Or drop a summon as cannon fodder.

Cheers, dude. 

It is awesome to hear that Deadfire is taking that route. I am keeping myself away from the scene, because I want the full experience(how selfish of me).

I already beat that bounty by sending in the tank. The baddies are stupid enough to chain stun and kill their own team, while the rest of mine were on ranged attack duty. I find it rather cheap, though.

Say, every other encounter I had, there was a way to beat them fairly. I'll admit it does take prayers most of the time, but quite often only scroll of fear protection is enough.  

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

It's PotD at last. One should expect to be forced to use cheesy tactics at some points (or using party synergies that are quite overpowered). Or bringing a priest which is always kind of overpowered. ;)

For example: did you know that Inspired Radiances of multiple priests stack? Add the fact that high level priests are one of the best AoE damage dealers when skilled accordingly and you have over-overpower.

Or using Crowns and Devotions for the Faithful and then send in a Druid with Relentless Storm (aka "disable all button"). Then send in the barb with Heart of Fury (aka "kill all button").

Stuff like that...

It gets more tricky once you do a PotD solo run with a weaker (solo) class - like fighter for example.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's PotD at last. One should expect to be forced to use cheesy tactics at some points (or using party synergies that are quite overpowered). Or bringing a priest which is always kind of overpowered. ;)

For example: did you know that Inspired Radiances of multiple priests stack? Add the fact that high level priests are one of the best AoE damage dealers when skilled accordingly and you have over-overpower.

Or using Crowns and Devotions for the Faithful and then send in a Druid with Relentless Storm (aka "disable all button"). Then send in the barb with Heart of Fury (aka "kill all button").

Stuff like that...

It gets more tricky once you do a PotD solo run with a weaker (solo) class - like fighter for example.

No, I didn't know any of that stuff, dude, apart from the Relentless Storm, but I don't use it all that often anyways. But to be honest I kind of don't care. I don't think the best of the game is in crunching the numbers. I find Durance to be quite balanced in terms of power but never imagined that priests could do serious AoE. I saw how enemy barbarians can one shot party members with Heart of Fury, while my own barbarian, who was also the Watcher, got nowhere near that. But it's ok for me, really...like I said, I always manage to find a way to beat the encounter with just what I have lying around. The Adra Dragon was a nice fight, for instance. Didn't need to cheese that one. 

I imagine when you want to do a solo potd run, you will need to be quite creative and sort of peaceful. A lot of respecs, too. But that's the good part. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Alright...I will keep that in mind. Thanks. For me priest AoE always grazed when I tried it, so I kind of forgot about it. Just buff and heal, lol. 

To be honest, don't think I will be playing PoE in a while anyways, so I might just forget about it again. 

I saw the two White Marches for like 10 pounds each and I think it's a bit steep for it. The Vanilla game got improved with each expansion, which is a great kindness from Obsidian, but I think I am done with PoE until Deadfire comes around. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

And on PoTD passive damage destroys that fight. Chanter Dragon Thrashed and a Druid in the back line fires of his storm. Paladin Sacred Immolation still pulses when disables also. Also a monk with high con and Crucible of Suffering will not be CCed for very long, accumulate wounds and pulverize that pack down ASAP. Ensure you get paralyze protection and they will fold. Also a Fighters charge wrecks Vithracks they have low HP, DR and Fort. But you might not of been high enough level for that

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

And on PoTD passive damage destroys that fight. Chanter Dragon Thrashed and a Druid in the back line fires of his storm. Paladin Sacred Immolation still pulses when disables also. Also a monk with high con and Crucible of Suffering will not be CCed for very long, accumulate wounds and pulverize that pack down ASAP. Ensure you get paralyze protection and they will fold. Also a Fighters charge wrecks Vithracks they have low HP, DR and Fort. But you might not of been high enough level for that

Naah, dude. 

I played only the Vanilla game which still got some improvements with the expansions. On a general note Pillars of Eternity has become my favourite RPG. I never cared to educate myself about what is good and what is not, but rather play on intuition and still PoE let me get through it without any significant road blocks. My first run was second highest difficulty and my second was PotD on Expert. I like how the game comes together and how the player can manipulate the resources.

That said, the reason why I made this post was mainly about how the Vithracks' area of effect stun is just...well, stupidly designed. It affects your party way too much, and is far too easy to cheese, in which case they just stun lock and kill each other. I find it bizarre. But, oh well, that's just me. Hearing that PoE 2 actually takes that into consideration really improves the image of Obsidian in my book. It is save to say that I can't wait for it's release.   

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Naah, dude. 

I played only the Vanilla game which still got some improvements with the expansions. On a general note Pillars of Eternity has become my favourite RPG. I never cared to educate myself about what is good and what is not, but rather play on intuition and still PoE let me get through it without any significant road blocks. My first run was second highest difficulty and my second was PotD on Expert. I like how the game comes together and how the player can manipulate the resources.

That said, the reason why I made this post was mainly about how the Vithracks' area of effect stun is just...well, stupidly designed. It affects your party way too much, and is far too easy to cheese, in which case they just stun lock and kill each other. I find it bizarre. But, oh well, that's just me. Hearing that PoE 2 actually takes that into consideration really improves the image of Obsidian in my book. It is save to say that I can't wait for it's release.   

Ya I agree that Psychic stun is retarded.  Even a GRAZE is like 10 seconds lmao.  The priest DOES have a Littany to Major Afflictions (pretty sure that is a vanilla ability) which makes a single character immune to stun/Prone etc  If you make that a hardy character or one that can mass disable them that character will keep the pressure off of your party long enough.  Also if you want to get really specific a Cipher with Psychic backlash will constantly stun them.  If he/she has brutal Backlash they will eventually kill themselves attacking the Ciphers Will.  That is a vanilla use as well.

PS why no White March?  I thought it was great and added a lot to the game and content that will be relevant in POE 2 ( I think lol)

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Naah, dude. 

Ya I agree that Psychic stun is retarded.  Even a GRAZE is like 10 seconds lmao.  The priest DOES have a Littany to Major Afflictions (pretty sure that is a vanilla ability) which makes a single character immune to stun/Prone etc  If you make that a hardy character or one that can mass disable them that character will keep the pressure off of your party long enough.  Also if you want to get really specific a Cipher with Psychic backlash will constantly stun them.  If he/she has brutal Backlash they will eventually kill themselves attacking the Ciphers Will.  That is a vanilla use as well.

PS why no White March?  I thought it was great and added a lot to the game and content that will be relevant in POE 2 ( I think lol)

True...True. I can't recall the priest ability per se, but I do remember looking at the Grieving Mother and the backlash. Point taken.

You are almost getting me sold on the White Marches there...almost. I think I will just wait for a bit before playing them, though. My last playthrough is too fresh :D. 

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png