I have played around in character creation and I will post some ideas I have thought of.
- This is the first version of the beta, so tons of things will change.
- I do not know what equipment can be found in the game, so I assume similar things as PoE1.
- I have not played the char, I just created the char to see whats possible.
Feel free to play such a char and give comments weather they are useful or not and how they can be improved.
The Tankpire strikes back
I want to create a char who will strike back at each enemy who attacks him, no matter if the enemy hits or misses.
Max out resolve because this is a tank. Might is also importent because you want to strike back hard. Int and per should not be dropped too much because you have to hit things and you want your buffs to last. You need enough con to survive the battle and dex is also not so importent because you are slow anyway.
lv1: constant recovery (auto), knock down, escape, Arkemyrs dizzling lights
lv2: weapon + shield style
lv3: disciplined barrage
lv4: fighter stances, dirty fighting
lv5: confident aim
lv6: into the fray
lv7: disciplined barrage upgrade, riposte, mirror image
lv8: hold the line
lv9: rapid recovery
lv10: vigorous defens or weapon specialisation, persistent distraction
The weapon should have +engagement or something else that is useful for a tank. The best shield would be a medium shield with retaliation, shield bash would be the second choice after retaliation. Use the heavies armor and try to get your defenses (especially deflection) and armor rating as high as possible.
It is very easy to create a char that is very hard to hit (unbroken or shieldbearer, either single class, both combined or one of them combined with a mage with illusion and evocation spells). But those chars deal little damage ( evidence please). In heavy armor and with weapon and shield you will never hit hard by yourself, so in order to do damage you have to strike back. The way to do it is retaliation AND riposte. If you have a retaliation shield, another retaliation item and fire shield you will strike back 3 times every time your char gets hit. If the enemy misses you with a melee attack you strike back with riposte. Riposte is a full attack, thats why a shield with bashing is the second choice after retaliation because you would attack twice for each enemy attack that misses. You should also try to engage as many enemies as possible. Thanks to a later fighter talent disengagement attacks hit really hard and knock down enemies.
what do importent talents do:
- arkemyrs dizzling lights: causes AoE dazed. dazed causes -5mig, no engagement and -4penetration. This means enemies will have it much harder to damage you, especially with the current penetration mechanic
- escape raises deflection by 50 for 3 sec. 3 sec is not much, but if you expect a hard hit it can save your life and you strike back via riposte instead of losing lots of health. It can be later be upgraded to shadow step, so your next attack paralyses the enemy
- riposte: the most importent skill why I chose rogue. You make a full attack when a melee attack that targets deflection misses you. Rogues are usually more offensive than defensive so it will trigger rarely on a normal rogue. But it should happen quite often when you have a full tank.
- mirror image: long lasting delection buff, helps to avoid damage and trigger more ripostes. I does not stack with vigorous defense unfortuanatly ( I guess).
- hold the line: more engagements are good because of more chances for disengagement attacks and also something else (see later)
- persistent distraction: you get +1 engagement and all engaged enemies get -5per and flanked. Flanked enables your sneak attack and your party can hit them easier.
- Later you learn confusion, which was very useful in PoE1 often. But the casting time is so extremely long.
note: If you think that the illusion spells are not so useful, you can use a default rogue instead.
This char will still cause less damage than a specialized damage dealer, but if I want a tank I would prefer this one over an unhittable wall that can do nothing but slow auto attacks.
Edit: When you block an attack with the modal of your medium shield, does it trigger retaliation or riposte?
Edited by Madscientist, 18 November 2017 - 02:11 PM.