Mind Control is a strong effect that helps a lot against enemy casters. Go and buy "Munacra Arret" from Sonild in Admeth's Den in the Copperlane district. You can buy stuff from her once you finished the first quest of the Dozens (doesn't lock you out of the other factions yet). It lets you charm 3 times per rest is is great on any party member with high accuracy, like fighter, rogue or paladin with Zealous Focus and Sworn Enemy (also look here: Ploi).

Another source of mind control would be your wizard with confusion spells. Or use Slicken or anything else that disables those pesky casters completely while you shoot at them.

Fighter with a pike can be nice. More battlefield control with Knockdown since your reach is bigger. If it's Gimli you can pretend it's a dragonlance. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mind Control is a strong effect that helps a lot against enemy casters. Go and buy "Munacra Arret" from Sonild in Admeth's Den in the Copperlane district. You can buy stuff from her once you finished the first quest of the Dozens (doesn't lock you out of the other factions yet). It lets you charm 3 times per rest is is great on any party member with high accuracy, like fighter, rogue or paladin with Zealous Focus and Sworn Enemy (also look here: Ploi).

Another source of mind control would be your wizard with confusion spells. Or use Slicken or anything else that disables those pesky casters completely while you shoot at them.

Fighter with a pike can be nice. More battlefield control with Knockdown since your reach is bigger. If it's Gimli you can pretend it's a dragonlance. ;)

I will use a pike Paladin. It makes more sense to think that Aragorn could have used a reach weapon before he got Anduril. Besides, Gimli is perfect for the Barbarian role ;)

What good AoE spells do I have at my disposal - or will I have at my disposal - in terms of dealing with huge swarms like the one found in the Ogre cave (12-plus, I think).

Barbs have Carnage - they hit in an AoE with every auto-attack they do.

Besides that: Chillfog, Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon - and try Combusting Wounds with Chillfog and also Combusting Wounds with a barb's carnage area. It's great.

• Like 1

Barbs have Carnage - they hit in an AoE with every auto-attack they do.

Besides that: Chillfog, Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon - and try Combusting Wounds with Chillfog and also Combusting Wounds with a barb's carnage area. It's great.

Got it. I've been using Corrisive Siphon a lot already - as well as Chillfog lately. So I will add Combusting Wounds on top of them.

Another question:

Some folks on various forum mentioned that it is useful to have Lore way up so that you can use max level or near-max level scrolls. Is this wise? If so, on which classes should up Lore high in general? I noticed that very few folks post their Skills distribution, so I am fairly clueless here.

Lore is only useful if you plan to use scrolls. That skill is for nothing else.

Now it depends which scrolls you want to use with a character. If it's mostly defensive scrolls you can take anybody with high INT who is not a caster (because those already have spells and usually don't need scrolls). For example a barbarian, a fighter, a paladin, a monk, a chanter or whatever.

If you also want to utilize offensive scrolls (CC or damage) I would give lore to a character with high INT, high accuracy and high MIG (in case of damaging scrolls). Something like a fighter, rogue or monk. Actually rogues are really great for this beause Deathblows (lvl 11) which does +100% damage on targets with two afflictions also works with spells (= spells do double damage). Additionally, spells which deal crush, pierce or slash damage also work with Deep Wounds (Twin Stones, Concussive Missiles, Bounding Missiles and so on). This makes the rogue the no.1 offensive scroll (and spell binding items) user. 

Usually one character with lore is enough. I give him all the scrolls and let him loose if things get tough. There are some items in the game which will give you +2 lore. This is neat because you only hae to give 8 lore and still be at 10 where you can use the strongest offensive scroll and spare some skillpoints for something else like survival.

I consider survival to be one of the best skills. the camping bonuses are really good. For example +10 accuracy that early in the game (with only 4 skill points) is hard to beat.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Lore is only useful if you plan to use scrolls. That skill is for nothing else.

Now it depends which scrolls you want to use with a character. If it's mostly defensive scrolls you can take anybody with high INT who is not a caster (because those already have spells and usually don't need scrolls). For example a barbarian, a fighter, a paladin, a monk, a chanter or whatever.

If you also want to utilize offensive scrolls (CC or damage) I would give lore to a character with high INT, high accuracy and high MIG (in case of damaging scrolls). Something like a fighter, rogue or monk. Actually rogues are really great for this beause Deathblows (lvl 11) which does +100% damage on targets with two afflictions also works with spells (= spells do double damage). Additionally, spells which deal crush, pierce or slash damage also work with Deep Wounds (Twin Stones, Concussive Missiles, Bounding Missiles and so on). This makes the rogue the no.1 offensive scroll (and spell binding items) user. 

Usually one character with lore is enough. I give him all the scrolls and let him loose if things get tough. There are some items in the game which will give you +2 lore. This is neat because you only hae to give 8 lore and still be at 10 where you can use the strongest offensive scroll and spare some skillpoints for something else like survival.

I consider survival to be one of the best skills. the camping bonuses are really good. For example +10 accuracy that early in the game (with only 4 skill points) is hard to beat.

Hmmm, stats affect bound spells, too? Wow. Is this the case of spells that are bound to items, too? That is very interesting.

Sigh. I did not know getting caught stealing would turn an entire building inhabitants hostile. And since I downloaded the IE mod that prevented autosave, I had no back-up saves any more.

So I have to start from the beginning anyways...