Controls Only Bind To Left Ctrl Bug

TeethMuncher

Question

To clarify: When I try to bind a key, it always binds to left ctrl, no matter what key I press.

I've done a bit of research and discovered someone who posted the same issue back 2015:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83460-controls-only-bind-to-left-ctrl/

The solution put forth was "verify integrity of game cache". I've done this (didn't work), then reinstalled then tried again (again, no luck).

I am playing through Steam and my game version is version 3.05.1186, which seems to be the latest as of now 2/13/17. Can anyone help me?

4 answers to this question

The easy part: All Keys which map to ascii

Decimal number from here http://www.asciitable.com/

is the value for the prefs file.

Which is in Linux here: ~/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity

The hotkeys start with ct_ and are base 64 encoded.

The decimal number is first, then followed by ":000|", multiple keys are possible.

The hard part: Finding the correct number for right ctrl

The easy part: All Keys which map to ascii

Decimal number from here http://www.asciitable.com/

is the value for the prefs file.

Which is in Linux here: ~/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity

The hotkeys start with ct_ and are base 64 encoded.

The decimal number is first, then followed by ":000|", multiple keys are possible.

The hard part: Finding the correct number for right ctrl

Thank you for responding.

I'll be blunt: I don't quite understand your response and I'm unsure how to proceed.

Are you suggesting that there are files that need to be replaced/updated?

I'm using Windows 8, btw.

Sorry if i started to steep.

There is a file named "prefs" which saves the asigned hotkeys, and because you said the game itself don't let you bind the right ctrl you would have to edit this file.

Make a search for unity3d in %AppData%, i would expect the file under windows there.

To make things not so easy the keycodes are encoded in base64 in the file.

<pref name="ct_SELECT_ALL" type="string">ODowMDB8</pref>

If you decode "ODowMDB8" you get "8:000|".

The 8 is the ascii value of Backspace. The rest is some kind of padding.

As I wrote, i have not worked out what are the numbers of the modifier keys, and the unity documentation does not contain that info too.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I think you misunderstand my issue. When I try to bind an action to a key, for instance let's say I wanted to bind "Select All" to the "enter" key, it always binds it to "Left Ctrl" instead. This happens no matter what action I try to rebind, or key I press to bind it to.

Now I've taken your advice and found "pref" folder by using the Windows Registry Editor. Unfortunately, I've become stuck one again. I could convert decodes so that actions are properly bound according to my preference, but that wouldn't fix my issues.

Thank you for your help so far though.