9/11 : 15 years on

BruceVC

I am not trying to guilt trip people into feeling something that they never did. I am genuinely interested in the correlation between people not having the same emotional attachment to something abstract (as the idea and symbol of The Towers of New York was something greater than a couple of big buildings, but an extension of Americanism and western civilization at large) and age. The answers in this thread seems to point in that direction.

Probably because to me (and other like me) it wasn't specifically a giant Icon of 'Murica! I was young enough that "Two Big Buildings" was all they were. And there was no specific thing within that building that contained something that I would relate to America specifically. Empire State Building, Sears Tower and the Statue of Liberty (and to a lesser extent the Chrysler Building) were each a larger icon of 'Murica to me than the Twin Towers ever were, because they were more utilized as a "This is American City!" buildings than the twin towers.

Thank you.

The Twin Towers were though very strong symbolic significance, bigger than the Empire State Building actually, because otherwise they wouldn't have been a target. The plan, according to Bin Laden himself, was to strike into and undermine the very foundations of western power, namely

- Financial Power: The Twin Towers

- Military Power: The Pentagon

- Political Power: The White House (failed as we all know, and crashed into a field)

Not of course to mention how ingrained they were in the classic New York skyline and in pop culture as well. Still though, i appreciate that you told me about you and your friends view, it was interesting in how different people percieved them and the attack at large.

Admittedly part of the reason I used the Chrysler building was because of this

frame-by-frame-review-spider-man-tas-the

Kingpin had his hideout in it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.