Veteran's Recovery better than Constant Recovery?

Skie Nightfall

Question

What's up with that?

The cross skill scales and eventually tops the Fighter's natural ability. Is it meant to be that way?

Also, seems like Int effects only the Endurance amount on constant recovery (without effecting the duration). Compared to Veteran's, where Int effects both Endurance and duration. :blink:

Edited by Skie Nightfall

✔ Certified Bat Food

4 answers to this question

Looking into the prefab files, I'm fairly sure that it is indeed an error. For any StatusEffect the core parameters are Value and ExtraValue, the meaning of which varies across different effects. For healing (over time or otherwise), Value is the base amount of endurance (per tick) gained, and ExtraValue is not used. An additional LevelScaling component can be set, to change the effect according to character level (obviously). For Constant Recovery, this has the standard "every three levels starting at 4" settings, but the ValueAdjustment is 0; however, the ExtraValueAdjustment is set to 1.5, even though for a healing effect this is not used. It seems likely that this should have actually been the ValueAdjustment, increasing the base Value of 5 to 12.5 at level 16.

For Veteran's Recovery (Value = 3, ValueAdjustment = 1, level 16 => 8 ) and Rapid Recovery (Value = 2, ValueAdjustment = 0.6, level 16 => 5) these are set correctly. Hopefully this can be fixed for 3.04, because it indeed makes no sense that the cross-class version would be better (in the long run). 

I don't see a problem with the intellect + duration though; as far as I can tell, for both it only affects the duration. Endurance per tick is not affected. 

Edited by Loren Tyr

Taking Rapid Recovery as a talent allows for similar progression to Veteran's Recovery, (not sure on the duration thing, I was playing a Int 10 Fighter when I last played one so it's not something I picked up on). The duration issue definitely sounds like a legit bug if it isn't implemented like Veteran's Recovery, honestly there's a fair few things in this game that should have Int scaling but don't (Defiant Resolve anyone?).

You're right though, when I played a Fighter I did find it extremely weird that the cross class talent is actually better at a base level than the base ability it's designed around if you ignore the booster talent. A good way to improve it would be to have Rapid Recovery adding a significant yet modest amount of flat healing (3 or 4 endurance per tick) and have Constant Recovery scale with level, or have both scale with level but have Rapid Recovery also add to the level scaling (say Constant Recovery gets +1 endurance each third level after 1, Rapid Recovery adds an additional +1).

It's one of those concepts that's fairly difficult to unbalance in the first place anyway, as it only lasts for the first little while of combat. While this is certainly nice, combat continues way past this point in most tough-ish fights in the first place so even if the Fighter is unkillable for the first 45 seconds of combat due to endurance recovery then it doesn't mean much in the long run. It certainly wouldn't hurt to incentivise taking Rapid Recovery even further, given that Fighters got a major nerf to their defences a while back (which was a little silly considering Paladins and Monks remain the defensive powerhouses they always have been regardless, easily outstripping the Fighters' original and supposed niche).

I think reinstating the (presumably intended) +1.5 / 3 levels for Constant Recovery and leaving Rapid Recovery as is would be quite fair, really. Gives a nice basis with just CR, and clearly better than VR; and a nice little extra bump from RR (and the Cloak), if you want to go for very high regeration tanking. 

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 1

Hey,

I looked into this. Constant Recovery is a flat +5 per 3 second tic. Veterans Recovery is a scaling per second tic. At around level 9 or 10 Veterans Recovery overtakes Constant Recovery. Constant Recovery can be upgraded to Rapid Recovery which picks it up past Veterans Recovery. Rapid Recovery ends at +10 per 3 second tic. Veterans Recovery ends at +8 per 3 second tic. After speaking with systems, in retrospect we would have liked to switch Constant Recovery to scale and Rapid Recovery to increase it by a flat value which would keep both talents above Veterans Recovery. But, we think is acceptable the way it is.

Thanks for bringing this up though. Helps us with are future titles.

- Sking

• Like 1