First real disappointment with lack of RP elements

@Yonjuro I assume SoA and ToB are to do with Baldur's Gate? Number 2? Not sure what you're talking about there.

Sounds like SoA got it right. That's kinda how Neverwinter Nights operated in general.

Can't really judge ToB without knowing the plot. It would be acceptable if the plot meant you have a good reason to kill those 2 dragons. If there isn't due to poor plot, then I probably won't bother with ToB; whatever that is.

@Yonjuro I assume SoA and ToB are to do with Baldur's Gate? Number 2? Not sure what you're talking about there.

Sounds like SoA got it right. That's kinda how Neverwinter Nights operated in general.

Can't really judge ToB without knowing the plot. It would be acceptable if the plot meant you have a good reason to kill those 2 dragons. If there isn't due to poor plot, then I probably won't bother with ToB; whatever that is.

Yes, sorry. SoA means Shadows of Amn, the original BG2 game and ToB means Throne of Bhaal, the expansion.

You do have a good reason to kill the two dragons in ToB.

I would recommend SoA and, since any version of BG2 probably comes with ToB included, it is probably worth playing through the whole thing at least once.

There are a few problems with the story in ToB and it is a mostly linear progression (except for a point where you can choose which order to do two of the major parts and the optional Watcher's Keep dungeon). I found that disappointing after the free form exploration in large parts of BG1 and the large number of choices in SoA but the game play is still interesting.

I'm not talking about dragons, I'm talking about the fact that Baldur's Gate is chock full of encounters where somebody rants at you and then attacks no matter how you reply.

Also lol at taking notes from Neverwinter Nights the trash mob killing simulator

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 2

Were there RP elements in NWN ? I don't even remember.

Maybe they were bland gerenic stuff like : "I'm a nice guy, I don't want reward" or "I'll kill you if you give me this" into fight.

I don't say there are not generic stuff in PoE, but I found them a bit more varied than good/neutral/evil.

I found the level of RP quite acceptable even if was maybe not the main purpose of the game.

But it's not the kind of game where you can defeat final boss by speaking...

Edited by Elric Galad

Lol, I almost wish I could say the generic "I'm a nice guy, I don't want reward" more. I don't remember that happening much, maybe once or twice.

After finishing the game I only noticed more and more side quests missing the actual outcome that I would have gone for. And being able to defeat the final boss through speaking would have been GREATLY appreciated. Damn statues.

NWN was not a perfect game or series by any means. In fact, many things PoE did far better. Eg. the ending, item management, combat, companions... etc. However most side quests in PoE boiled down to side A or B and picking one after some vague context. Cinders of Faith barely had even that.

I remember a side quest for NWN that involved solving a crime for some ghosts and a spirit arbiter in an enchanted forest somewhere; in which diving into it more and exploring every nook and cranny allowed you to find out the whole context and make the proper judgement by finding the demon that tricked one of the parties, and make the judgement based on the whole context. And yet in PoE, even when you're a Watcher who can literally read SOULS and FEELINGS and MEMORIES you can rarely ever delve into a side quest more than what is told to you at face value. I never felt like I had uncovered everything there was to know, leaving the outcome feeling empty and unsatisfying; many times.You have to choose a side, never convince either side to compromise for an objectively better outcome, nor can you really get into how things went down with a middle ground. I could go into a list of examples but I think I'll stop here.

From what I've seen, Baldur's gate and NWN are examples that Obsidian should study if they plan to make any more games in the PoE universe.

I'm not talking about dragons, I'm talking about the fact that Baldur's Gate is chock full of encounters where somebody rants at you and then attacks no matter how you reply.

Oh, I see. Yes, I agree with you. Sarevok, in BG1 for example.