Weird Heat Metal/Warchanter interaction (yeah, that guy)

Longshot11

Question

So, some guy encountered Goblin Warchanter and decided to play weapon/spell, so he gets to roll Wisdom.

- Seelah's at the same location, and I notice she has the blue chains on her Heat Metal spell (which is ok, since it's an Attack spell); however, this spell shouldn't be playable during the active player's Wisdom roll

- just for the kicks of it (and because I already sense *some* bug coming - I expected to add the HM bonus to the active player's Wisdom roll), I play Seelah's Heat Metal

- sure enough, Seelah gets to roll Wisdom too

- I beat Seelah's Wisdom roll (I used the bugged Inspired Grace, if it matters, so I actually didn't roll Wisdom but the Warchanter's Combat check)

- then the game switched to the active character, who now had to do the Warchanter's Combat check, completely skipping his own Wisdom roll (which initiated the whole thing). This Combat had the Heat Metal bonus applied to it.

My working theory: if you play a Combat-supporting spell with the Attack trait, while the active player has a pending Wisdom roll - the game assumes you're at the "roll for combat" stage and skips the active player's Wisdom roll.

Other interesting test cases:

- other player plays a non-attack combat support spell (Strength), while active character is in the 'roll for Wisdom' stage

- other player plays a combat support spell (both Attack and non-attack - Fiery Weapon / Aid), and then the active player tries to play Weapon/Spell

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

3 answers to this question

Not sure if it's related to this, but since you were talking about a Wisdom check and playing Heat Metal, I thought I'd add a reply rather than start a new thread.

Seoni is beginning her turn at Mountain Peak which requires a check of Wisdom/Survival 7 and she has Heat Metal in her hand.  Discarding the spell grants her 2d6 on the check. 

I suspect this is a bug, but perhaps the check is considered a barrier with the Lock or Trap trait?

I suspect this is a bug, but perhaps the check is considered a barrier with the Lock or Trap trait?

It shouldn't be. Definitely a bug.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.