Issue with using Armor spells

BookofLyl

Question

Hey team,

Really enjoying the game, but having some issues with using spells that reduce damage in a failed combat. Can't remember name for sure, but I think the spell was simply "Armor" which has the trait:

Discard to reduce combat damage by 2, you can use this spell even if you have already cast a spell this combat  (and then the standard recharge rules)

I lost a fight as Ezren in Brigadoom and was asked to discard 4 cards for damage. When I tried to play Armor (Arcane Armor, maybe?), I was given the option to discard, and then prompted to still discard 3 more cards, where it should have told me to discard 2 more, and then given me the option to try to recharge.

Did I miss a step, or try to use the spell too late in the process?

7 answers to this question

You are definitely talking about Arcane Armor. These monsters in B and C would have rendered it useless (and been capable of dealing your 4 damage):

Bunyip (damage can not be reduced)

Satyr (damage can not be reduce, though this is a non-Combat check to defeat)

Siren (damage can not be reduce, though this is a non-Combat check to defeat)

Plague Zombie (deals Acid damage, though only if you fail a Constitution or Fortitude check after failing to defeat it)

If you were attempting a combat check to defeat and you didn't have to attempt a Constitution check after not defeating it, then if it was the Bunyip you wouldn't be able to play Arcane Armor. Anything else in B or C is likely a bug.

Edited by 269Hawkmoon

You are definitely talking about Arcane Armor. These monsters in B and C would have rendered it useless (and been capable of dealing your 4 damage):

Bunyip (damage can not be reduced)

Satyr (damage can not be reduce, though this is a non-Combat check to defeat)

Siren (damage can not be reduce, though this is a non-Combat check to defeat)

Plague Zombie (deals Acid damage, though only if you fail a Constitution or Fortitude check after failing to defeat it)

If you were attempting a combat check to defeat and you didn't have to attempt a Constitution check after not defeating it, then if it was the Bunyip you wouldn't be able to play Arcane Armor. Anything else in B or C is likely a bug.

Ohh, thank you for this response. 75% sure it was a Bunyip. Stupid Bunyips.

• Like 2

Know what you'll find in the next base set, Skull and Shackles?  Bunyips.  Know what you'kll find in the FOLLOWING base set, Wrath of the Righteous?  Bunyips.

I'm really curious what I'll find in the as-yet-unreleased physical base set, Mummy's Mask...

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Know what you'll find in the next base set, Skull and Shackles?  Bunyips.  Know what you'kll find in the FOLLOWING base set, Wrath of the Righteous?  Bunyips.

I'm really curious what I'll find in the as-yet-unreleased physical base set, Mummy's Mask...

Smart money in Vegas is on Bunyips