How do you prioritize single target vs aoe? (PoTD)

I'm about to start act 3 in a PoTD game with all custom characters, so far they're level 8 with a pally tank, fighter tank (trying the guardian/prone if disengaged build), ranger (weapon damage, no pet damage), chanter (ranged support), wizard and priest.  Sort of regret having a pally main, since 2 main tanks doesn't seem that necessary and pally damage is sub-par, though I haven't looked into pally dual wield in depth yet.

I notice there's a TON of mobs in each pull- should I get more AoE damage into the party, instead of just the wizard?  Priest doesn't really have much yet, but they get a few later.  It's nice for the ranger to unload on the back caster mobs, but I'm considering replacing the ranger with something like a druid for more AoE damage.  Though that also makes the priest rather redundant.

I haven't gone into White March yet- should I focus more on AoE damage, single target damage, or a balance of both?

Yeah on PotD it's pretty rare to have just one very dangerous foe, and even in those cases (dragons) you need to find some way to keep the minions out of your hair while you're killing it -- or, alternatively, keep it out of your hair while you're killing the minions so you can finish up by focusing on it, which is often the way to go.

I can only think of a handful of fights where you would want to prioritise single-target.

That one named Cean Gwla in Heritage Hill springs to mind, especially if you're going there at somewhat low level. She's nasty and if you don't take her down quick she'll debilitate everybody while the charmed justiciars murder you.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I usully want to murder ciphers or wizards ASAP

The way you do that is use firearms on everyone except maybe one tank and focus fire them then switch to faster weapons.

But I like one rogue for certain fights. On ai ranged rogue is safe for this while dw you pretty much have to micro.

Oh and to the op 80 to 85% of potd can be played with one hard tank one off tank 4 dpsers but there are a few battles like raedric part 2 or the monks in wm2 or the battery sirens in wm where any glass canon toons will be shredded fast no matter what pretty much. I did raedric part 2 just now with level scaling on (don't know if it makes a difference in that) at level 9 and pretty much had to put everyone in plate and even then a low constitution toon got consistently ganged up on that I let him rest while the other 5 did the fight.

If your team is durable then steady single target damage works fine on PotD. Four tough melee guys up front (monks, paladins, chanter) can hold the front and kill what is in front of them while taking minimal damage. Reach weapons let them double up on enemies or stay in the second row if there is a choke point. One or two ranged guys can then focus on distant threats or on dropping the front line. Having some sort of movement ability like Flagellant's Path, Charge or Dragon Leap let you jump past the frontline and cause havoc in the back.

I usually have four sturdy melee and two ranged these days as this seems to work best for me. Also works in open fields. You seldomly have to watch out for the backline. Fights last a bit longer, but are easier. If I use chokepoints then in a way that 4-5 enemies can pass it and then end up in an arc of four melee guys who hit at them while the two ranged nuke them with AoE (either weapon AoE like a Stormcaller ranger or Blast or spells).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods