Xmas Plans

BruceVC

Here in the north where you have about just a few hours of sunlight, *not* celebrating christmas with all those christmas lights probably means that you're either completely cuckoo or a vampire.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why atheist celebreting X-Mas?

I find it strange that there are people that celebrate Christmas, because in Finland we celebrate Joulu (comes from Germanic Yule), which is just about during Winter solstice (day when daylight time is shortest or like here Sun never rises), which just happen to happen bit after middle of Joulukuu (Month of Yule, or Yule moon), in here northern side of the sphere. We even have Joulupukki (Yule Goat - which those bizarre English speaking people call Santa Claus or Father Christmas and they even often get wrong his place of origin). It just also happens to be the day when Christian world celebrate birth of Jesus their Savior and Christ, even though he was born during early summer months according to bible, but maybe that was too close to Easter (which is also about same time as another Finnish pagan celebration, but that is another story) also Winter solstice was already the most major yearly celebration in Rome Empire, so it probably also was easy festive to nominate for celebrating birth of Saviour by church in three hundred something AD.

Of course I kid quite lot in this post as over 90% of Finnish people are Christian and for majority of them Celebrating birth of Jesus is main part of Christmas, even though we still call it by its pagan name. Although also modernized version of that pagan ceremony is big part for many especially in households with children as Santa-Claus (Joulupukki) that modernized version is invented by Coca-Cola is nice and simple excuse to give presents for the other people mainly children. Especially when celebration is during quite depressing time as there is so little daylight, so it is natural time to keep holiday from work and school and do something fun and cheerful.

I know Christmas of Catholic is full of Pagan symbolism, it is because of the Roman want to buy the barbarians with the new religion, so mix Christianity with the original Pagan religion of the European, afterward European being under Roman Pope and Rome relive again in new form.....

The Orthodox don't celebrate Christmas as far as i know...and they even have different Jesus birth date.

Why atheist celebreting X-Mas?

I find it strange that there are people that celebrate Christmas, because in Finland we celebrate Joulu (comes from Germanic Yule), which is just about during Winter solstice (day when daylight time is shortest or like here Sun never rises), which just happen to happen bit after middle of Joulukuu (Month of Yule, or Yule moon), in here northern side of the sphere. We even have Joulupukki (Yule Goat - which those bizarre English speaking people call Santa Claus or Father Christmas and they even often get wrong his place of origin). It just also happens to be the day when Christian world celebrate birth of Jesus their Savior and Christ, even though he was born during early summer months according to bible, but maybe that was too close to Easter (which is also about same time as another Finnish pagan celebration, but that is another story) also Winter solstice was already the most major yearly celebration in Rome Empire, so it probably also was easy festive to nominate for celebrating birth of Saviour by church in three hundred something AD.

Of course I kid quite lot in this post as over 90% of Finnish people are Christian and for majority of them Celebrating birth of Jesus is main part of Christmas, even though we still call it by its pagan name. Although also modernized version of that pagan ceremony is big part for many especially in households with children as Santa-Claus (Joulupukki) that modernized version is invented by Coca-Cola is nice and simple excuse to give presents for the other people mainly children. Especially when celebration is during quite depressing time as there is so little daylight, so it is natural time to keep holiday from work and school and do something fun and cheerful.

I know Christmas of Catholic is full of Pagan symbolism, it is because of the Roman want to buy the barbarians with the new religion, so mix Christianity with the original Pagan religion of the European, afterward European being under Roman Pope and Rome relive again in new form.....

The Orthodox don't celebrate Christmas as far as i know...and they even have different Jesus birth date.

Orthodox have Christmas in January 7, which is December 25 in Julian calendar that Orthodox churches uses instead of Gregorian calendar which is currently most commonly used calendar. Those Orthodox that have Gregorian calendar Christmas is on December 25.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Julian calendar was introduced as Roman empire's to reform Roman calendar, it was gradually replaced by Gregorian calendar that was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582. Replacement of Julian calendar was done because it gains against the mean tropical year at the rate of one day in 128 years. Tropical Year is time it takes for Sun to get in same position, or more time it takes for Earth to go around sun, but any way time it takes from one winter/summer solstice to next for example. Gregorian calendar gains one day in 3,226 years, which makes calendar adjustment much easier. And because of this gained days there is now 13 days difference between Gregorian and Julian calendars, which is why December 25 in Julian calendar is January 7 in Gregorian calendar. In future it will go forward slowly, meaning that it will first become January 8 then January 9 and so on as time goes on. But regardless it will be always be December 25 for those who follow Julian calendar like lots of Orthodox churches. And those Orthodox churches and Orthodox Christians that have adopted Gregorian calendar Christmas is celebrated December 25 according to Gregorian calendar instead of when it is in Julian calendar.

Edited by Elerond