Hi Everyone,

I was thinking that it would be a good idea if NPC's side quests could end with adding a unique ability to each NPC that corresponds with quest line(something unique across whole game). It would add a nice flavor to the game and those quests.

I like the idea, but I have a couple of reservations about it.

1. While it'd be cool, it doesn't necessarily make sense for all of the NPCs. Some of their quest resolutions rock them to their very cores, but don't really give them anything other than self-knowledge. Now, self-knowledge is a powerful thing in PoE, so that can be handwaved to a degree, but it's worth considering. (On the other hand, a few of the quest resolutions definitely put the heroes in touch with their own souls on a more tangible level.)
  2. The NPC quests don't resolve evenly throughout the narrative - some can be finished early in Act 2, while others force you to wait until the very end of Act 3. YMMV on whether this is actually a problem, but it would make some NPCs powerful more quickly than others.
  3. It would make the companions theoretically more powerful than hirelings. Mind, hirelings can have more specialized (read: better) attribute builds, but some people might complain about it.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I agree those abilities should be balanced, they can be even not that strong, but they could just another reason to follow them. Let's say Hiravias (based on his nature and comments all over the game) could earn an ability to taunt an enemy to attack him for couple of seconds. Something that would go with given companion's personality and possibly reflecting what has happened during quest.