I was trying to take the diplomatic approach with Sweynur and asked about buying them a round. He said he would talk if I did that but once the dialogue closed and I got 4 drinks out of my stash and tried talking to him again to give the drinks he didn't have any options to continue with that path. Can someone tell me how I am supposed to complete the task this way or do I just have to pick one of the more aggressive options?

This is but one example of why I'm a fan of saving frequently, alternating between three active save files, and also keeping saves at certain milestones periodically, like when I've started a new act and have enough XP to level but haven't done so yet.

In a case like this, you can just go back to the autosave, which is updated when you change zones, so it would take you back to when you just entered the inn the most recent time.

You have to get the round from the bartender. It's a dialogue option when you speak to her after talking to Sweynur. That's it. Go back to Sweynur and present the beer to him via dialogue option. You don't have to buy four beer manually. Would be better if this also worked - but it doesn't.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You have to get the round from the bartender. It's a dialogue option when you speak to her after talking to Sweynur. That's it. Go back to Sweynur and present the beer via dialogue option. You don't have to buy four beer manually. Would be better if this also worked - but it doesn't.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Interesting. When I happened upon this task, I already had beers in my stash. When I selected the dialogue option to buy them around, the task automatically continued. 

On the other hand, if you have a high resolve score, you can talk to the elf and make him spill the beans on how he's been cutting prices and agrees to work with Swenyer at fair prices.