Original 2013 Crafting Design vs Current Crafting System

In Tim Cain's post on crafting (#58) he talked about a crafting system based on:

1. Crafting Skill
  2. Crafting Skill levels unlock new recipes/enchantments
  3. Players can find new recipes / enchantments
  4. Crafting is limited to specific in-game locations
  5. Enchantments may have requirements based on skill level, class, etc.

Do you prefer Tim's original design or the implemented crafting system?

Something in-between.

Not so sure we need a separate 'crafting skill'

But the current crafting feels a bit 'cheap'.

I'd prefer to have crafting limited to specific locations (forge, lab, hearth, etc) as per the  original idea (thus making stronghold upgrades there useful).  And the need to find the recipes.

I'd also like 'Legendary recipes' that could be crafted only once (due to availability of ingredients) a la crom-feyr, but able to be applied to your favourite base-weapon.

Needing a special NPC to craft such would be fine too.

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Not really, at least not everything.

1) and 2) all that means is that one sucker in your party will have to have the skill, probably someone who isn't going with you to battle.

3) that one I happen to like in games as long as you can reasonably find at least some recipes.

4) more loading screens… no. Party priest blesses it, or something, done.

5) not quite sure. Gaining benefits from enchantment… maybe, enchanting – the same as 2).

Pillars of Bugothas

1. Crafting Skill
2. Crafting Skill levels unlock new recipes/enchantments

Don't see the point, you'd just max it out on one guy, preferably one you don't actually use in your party. Also violates the rule about no skill being pointless on multiple chars which I like.

Players can find new recipes / enchantments

Rather have a full list available right away just so you know what's possible. You need to seek out ingredients anyway.

Crafting is limited to specific in-game locations

That would be a completely retarded pointless time waste. Remember Brighthollow at launch? Such fun.

Enchantments may have requirements based on skill level, class, etc.

So you have to choose the "right" class to be your crafter based on whose enchants are best? No.

Current system is basically fine. I usually don't like crafting systems in general but at least they managed to make it not ridiculously unbalanced in PoE, nor a needlessly complex one where you need 60 different ingredients from 15 continents to craft a spoon.

• Like 1

I like the idea of being able to find or discover new enchantments/recipes. Opening a book and finding that it contains a new enchantment would add to the value of searching for and finding old tomes. Quests to find enchantments would add variety to the game. The librarian in the Stronghold could be a source of such quests, if you built the library improvement.

Moreover, I also like the idea of higher levels unlocking new enchantments and/or recipes. All PCs would know the basic recipes and enchantments, but the highly skilled would have access to more.

Example:

Each level in lore above 4 reveals a randomly selected new enchantment, with the randomness modified by your talents (i.e. Fire focused talent = greater chance to unlock fire based enchantments).

Each level in Survival reveals recipe(s) for nature based food items or potions. A PC skilled in survival would have knowledge of more animal and plant based potions than someone who is not as skilled in Survival.

Edited by EdwinP
  • Like 1

I think a cross of both systems would've been the best. Much like the MMO crafting models. I like the idea of having recipes in the world that you can come across and search out the ingredients to make it. However, Mortal Online had a cool system where it was trial and error to craft things. The recipes were non-existent and you had to combine different ingredients and see if they worked. Yeah it'd be frustrating but I think it'd make things interesting. Especially when you craft a really good item for the first time.