Game crashes each time trying to get to Gilded Vale

locke_stryfe

Question

Hi.  I just bought PoE, and am trying to play the game.  I just got to the point to where you go to Gilded Vale for the first time, and every time I try and go to the city, the game crashes.  I have 2 error logs, but the crashing has happened at least 3 times trying to go to the city.

I have files to attach, though it doesn't seem to allow me to attach save games like it says to do in the MUST READ post...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

output_log.txt

output_log.txt

9 answers to this question

I'm guessing you either have a 32-bit operating system or very little RAM (or possibly both). You can keep trying to enter the area - eventually you'll make it, although you may have to restart your computer a few times first. Or you can follow the steps outlined here: http://windows7themes.net/en-us/32-bit-use-bcdedit-set-increaseuserva-to-increase-ram-used-by-single-application/

I've used the process outlined here with no ill effects whatsoever, but I can't guarantee that your computer won't run into issues.

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Really points to a memory issue. You should post also your system specs.

Not sure if lowering Display Resolution would help.

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

You have only a 32 Bit OS. Per default WIN32 Applications can only use up to 2GB per application.With a special flag up to 3,5 GB. Obsidian tried to reduce the memory it needs but it can happen that it's still not enough. You really need a 64bit version of Windows.

So, when I look at the system requirements for PoE, it says nothing about 32-bit OS.  If it absolutely needs a 64 bit OS, that should have been mentioned, front and center.  That way, customers don't waste their 45+ USD on a game they can't run.

Hm, I might be mistaken. I might have mixed the issue with windows XP support, where the memory contraints are higher. I think the official docs only list Vista and up. Anyway, a dev could give you better advise on the issue.

But you should upload your savegame to dropbox or something similar and provide a link. Maybe something is wrong with the samegame.

Hi there, 

If you check the system requirements here you will notice: "Note: We strongly recommend playing Pillars of Eternity on a 64-bit based operating system."

A workaround for 32-bit systems can be found here: Please note "Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings."

For future reference, you are running 8GB of RAM yes, but on a 32-bit operating system. 32-bit operating systems are only able to address 4GB of memory, effectively wasting 4GB+ of ram installed in your system. The 4GB limit refers to total addressable memory space and not just the RAM installed. It's a total made up of system RAM, graphics RAM, PCI memory range, ACPI and a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks for your feedback and I hope the workaround works for you, but I would strongly recommend installing a 64-bit OS.

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Sorry for my awful English, but I have similar issue. I have an old Windows XP (yeah, I know, I should change it), but I bought "PIllars" to just give it a try. And indeed, my game was working perfectly, until I tried entering Gilded Vale. It crashed every time, so I gave up on playing.

But recently I've downloaded the latest patch and to my surprise, the game was working. Indeed, sometimes it had a tendency to crash, especially when I tried to return to Vale, but other than that, it was great. Until I got to the Defiance Bay. The first problematic area was First Fires, but to fix that, I increased RAM used by single application in system settings and it worked. But when I try to enter the Catacombs, nothing works. And, as I said, I know that the game isn't made for 32-bit systems, but somehow you were able to fix the issue with the Vale, at least for me. Maybe you can find a solution to the rest of "problematic" areas?