[1.04] Endless Paths ambush blocks or aborts progress (EP level 7 spoiler)

Concordance

Question

While this is a design error rather than a technical issue, it can block player progress all the same, so it qualifies as a bug.

After completing Kana's personal quest on Endless Paths level 7, the game sets up a scripted ambush by a large group of Leaden Key at all exits to the Endless Paths. If the player's group is at low health and he has no camping supplies left, the ambush will make it impossible to leave the Endless Paths. Unless the player manages to find camping supplies without engaging in further combat (i.e. he has at least one Mechanics 3< character and did not pick up at least one of the 3~ supplies in the first 7 levels), the player cannot continue the game without reloading a savegame several fights back - which might lose him hours of progress.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go down to the Endless Paths level 7 with Kana in your party.

2. Access Gabrannos' study and complete Kana's quest.

3. Continue descending the Paths and engaging in battles until party runs out of camping supplies and is too low on health to fight another battle.

4. Get wiped by a Leaden Key ambush stationed at each EP exit. Or get wiped by the next unavoidable fight in Endless Paths. Either way, player is now blocked and forced to reload an earlier save, potentially hours back.

I have seen several people encounter the issue on Reddit and ran into it myself. Thankfully, I had missed a stash of supplies at level 2 and was able to continue - otherwise, I would have lost several hours of progress.

The player has no reason to believe he cannot safely ascend to his own Stronghold after clearing the floors inbetween, especially after he has already done so several times. I think this ambush is out of place and should be either changed to a regular Stronghold Attack (that the player is warned about and can prepare for) or removed altogether.

Edited by Concordance

5 answers to this question

I suggest that the Leaden Key ambush be moved to directly outside Gabrannos' study (such that the player cannot run into it after being worn down by other encounters) and one set of camping supplies be added to the loot found in Gabrannos' study (so that if the party is too worn down to face the ambush they can retreat into the study and rest first).

Well, but that battle against the Leaden Key is avoidable, at least in my case. You just have to select Caed Nua instead of Level 1 when you go upstairs. I entered and left Caed Nua long time after Kana's quest and I just found out about that ambush when I had to

put the Dragon Amulet in the titan's hand, selecting Level 1 instead of Caed Nua.

Well, but that battle against the Leaden Key is avoidable, at least in my case. You just have to select Caed Nua instead of Level 1 when you go upstairs. I entered and left Caed Nua long time after Kana's quest and I just found out about that ambush when I had to

put the Dragon Amulet in the titan's hand, selecting Level 1 instead of Caed Nua.

I don't have the option to select Caed Nua  - the highest floor available is level 1. Did I miss opening another master staircase to the keep proper?

Progress-wise, I've cleared most of Level 8 in Endless Paths and have not yet been to Defiance Bay. I've seen a conspicuous cellar door next to the Chapel, but assumed I'd need to renovate the Chapel to use it - which is many, many in-game days away at this point.

Edited by Concordance

Apparently you need to have used the ladder on the titan's hand at least once in order to unlock the cellar door. I hadn't done that before the ambush (didn't realize you could move onto the hand), so I could not fast travel directly into the yard. If you hadn't done that before the ambush is spawned,  you can't do it without defeating the ambush anymore, so you can still get stuck.