Helms & Hats: An Incomplete Feature?

Headgear Poll  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be able to enchant Helms, Hats & Hoods?

I really like the duelist hat. But without an attribute bonus I prefer to use other headgear.

Actually, there is a piece of enchanted headgear that uses the duelist's hat.  It's called "The Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak" and gives +2 RES and -1 INT.  Unfortunately, in one's inventory slots is uses the acorn helm graphic, rather than the duelist's hat graphic.  I wish that the Devs would make fix this minor thing, because you'd never know that this hat uses an entirely different graphic when placed on the character's paper doll. 

This is also a problem for a number of other hats.  There's a headgear item that's actually a monocle.  It displays as a monocle on the paper doll, but as a helm in the inventory slots.  There are other headgear items that have this problem as well, though perhaps not to as great a degree.

I find the Diseased Yak hat's improper inventory graphic probably the most annoying because that duelist's hat is perfect for any character that wants to be portrayed as a stylish adventurer.  Plus, it's a near perfect match for a couple of the portraits, one is the black woman wearing stylish clothes and a duelist's hat, and the other is a male pic of a fairly stereotypical pirate, looking rather like the Peter Pan villain, Captain Hook.

Seeing as there are hats/helmets with stats, I think we should be able to enchant the regular ones too. That or remove the enchants from headgear alltogether. "All or nothing" basically.

Much as I like being able to get hats/helmets with stat enhancing enchantments, I think that the best way to deal with this would be to simply remove all enchantments from headgear.

That said, there's probably one effect that one could argue that helmets (as opposed to mere hats) could give and that could be some sort of reduction of crit hit chance or crit hit damage, or perhaps a small number of physical DR.  This wouldn't be a true enchantment so much as merely a reflection of the purely physical protective effect of a (hard) helmet vs a soft hat.  I don't think that anyone could reasonably argue that a good solid helmet offers more protection than a mere hat.

• Like 1