GOG Patch 1.03-1.04 Sneakiness

Althernai

Question

So there's not actually anything wrong with my game that I can see, but I would like to check whether I installed things correctly. I had downloaded Patch 1.03 from GOG on April 4th (i.e. more or less as soon as it appeared). More specifically, the file I installed was:

patch_pillars_of_eternity_2.0.1.2.exe (83261 KB)

Today, I tried to install Patch 1.04 or, more specifically,

patch_pillars_of_eternity_2.1.1.4.exe (11757 KB)

which GOG labels Patch 1.03 to 1.04, but in fact this fails saying that I'm trying to apply it to the wrong version. I thought this was curious and tried to download and install what is currently called Patch 1.03 on GOG, but it is in fact not quite the same file:

patch_pillars_of_eternity_2.1.0.3.exe (82996 KB)

This installed just fine and after that I was able to install Patch 1.04 as well. I tried starting the game and it seems to work.

As far as I can tell, what is labeled "Patch 1.03" on GOG has been sneakily changed to a very slightly different file which can be installed on top of the "original" Patch 1.03 as well as on top of the base game (since the original Patch 1.03 is no longer anywhere on GOG). Is that the case?

2 answers to this question

So there's not actually anything wrong with my game that I can see, but I would like to check whether I installed things correctly. I had downloaded Patch 1.03 from GOG on April 4th (i.e. more or less as soon as it appeared). More specifically, the file I installed was:

patch_pillars_of_eternity_2.0.1.2.exe (83261 KB)

Today, I tried to install Patch 1.04 or, more specifically,

patch_pillars_of_eternity_2.1.1.4.exe (11757 KB)

which GOG labels Patch 1.03 to 1.04, but in fact this fails saying that I'm trying to apply it to the wrong version. I thought this was curious and tried to download and install what is currently called Patch 1.03 on GOG, but it is in fact not quite the same file:

patch_pillars_of_eternity_2.1.0.3.exe (82996 KB)

This installed just fine and after that I was able to install Patch 1.04 as well. I tried starting the game and it seems to work.

As far as I can tell, what is labeled "Patch 1.03" on GOG has been sneakily changed to a very slightly different file which can be installed on top of the "original" Patch 1.03 as well as on top of the base game (since the original Patch 1.03 is no longer anywhere on GOG). Is that the case?

I believe so yes. Can't say for sure. I figure GoG posted the original 1.03 patch. Obsidian then released their hotfix. GoG did not roll out a separate patch that included hotfix patch; they just updated their 1.03 patch, then rolled out 1.04. So, folks who updated with the initial 1.03 ( without hotfix) needed to repatch 1.03 (with hotfix) before patching to 1.04.

Speculation.

Edited by 76prophet
  • Like 1