Update Failed - Unable to Play

Cyradis314

Question

Hello again, 

I believe that Steam is trying to carry out an update that launched yesterday while I was traveling. However, it is not going well. It takes a very long time for not that large of a file, on very good wireless.... and concludes with a pop-up message ""An error occurred while updating Pillars of Eternity (corrupt content files). Please go to the Steam Support site for more information". So I do... which just takes me to these forums. The game won't launch without the patch, and the patch doesn't get applied due to a corrupt file. I do not know what to do besides pester the forums and wait impatiently. Or go back to playing D3 - you guys are friendly so I can't be too grumpy for now. 

A few days ago I did finally get the work-around to the Never Far From The Queen quest to function. I hadn't been able to play since 3/27 or so, and got to start playing just a few days ago, now it won't even launch. Did the work-around mess up the patch somehow? I wouldn't think that the patch would interfere with a save file, but I am rather clueless on these things. 

I did post in another thread about the patch, so hopefully I'm not spamming you guys. I don't know if anyone else is having the same issue as me though. 

Ideas? Hints? 

9 answers to this question

Guest Matt Sheets

Please attempt to verify the integrity of the your game cache.

If you right click the game in your library, select properties, select the local files tab, and then select verify integrity of the game cache.

Steam restarted the download on its own. Did the download, again super slowly. It seems to be stuck on Validating alternating with Installing- it goes through that a few times. I've been waiting half an hour on that or so to see if it gives me the same error message. Will see what happens and let you know.