Does your accuracy affect your spell's chance to hit?

Yes. But the accuracy is compared against the defenses of the enemy, not deflection, as mentioned in the tooltip. Also, certain spells have a bonus or malus accuracy.

So, for example, a spell that targets reflex at +10 accuracy would calculate as follows:

Attack roll + base accuracy + spell-based accuracy bonus - reflex defense. If the result is above 50, the spell hits. If not, the spell misses (if it's a binary spell without a damage component like a crowd-control spell. Damage spells can grace.).

This makes accuracy the most valuable stat for any caster or DPSer. The only classes that get away with low accuracy scores are probably heal-centric clerics and tanks. So, yes, using a +accuracy weapon on spellcasters is a good idea.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

So, yes, using a +accuracy weapon on spellcasters is a good idea.

Not true, at least not for spellcasting.

From tested stuff:

Character have base Accuracy stat (base class attack score + char level*3), that is used for everything - swords, guns, spells, talents. Each Class have its own starting Accuracy.

Weapon attribute (fine, accurate) and Weapon Focus talent applies only for regular attacks with that weapon, not for spells. Marksman - only for ranged weapons, not for spells.

Shield equipped decrease all accuracy (attacks, spells, talents) - count it as overall debuff.

Having one weapon without shield does not affect spellcasting accuracy.

Wood Elf racial Distant Advantage add Acc to everything (attacks, spells, talents) if target far enough (yeah, really good for casters).

Each Spell/Power/Talent have its own Acc mod (for spells usually +5/+10/+15) and target defense its used for. If spell target Will, then Acc compared to Will, if target Deflect - compared with Deflect. Also it seems that spells go with additional +10 besides mod mentioned at description (maybe as one-handed attack or something).

Correct me if Iam wrong.

Edited by ErlKing

Attack roll + base accuracy + spell-based accuracy bonus - reflex defense. If the result is above 50, the spell hits. If not, the spell misses (if it's a binary spell without a damage component like a crowd-control spell. Damage spells can grace.).

That's not true. Just like with weapon attacks, any result of 15 or lower wil miss. 16-50 is a graze. 50-100 a hit. 101+ is a crit. Even spells without damage can graze (-50%) and crit (+50%). For those spells, it will affect the duration. So a graze with a debuff-spell will only have half the normal duration, a crit will last 50% longer.

Other than that, ErlKing's summery is correct. (except maybe shields affecting spell accuracy. I haven't checked that yet so I'll just say he's probably right if he did the testing.)

And I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that weapon accuracy does not affect spells. Somehow I just assumed that without checking the combat log.

So yeah, the conclusion seems that not a lot of stuff actually has an impact on spell accuracy. That's a bummer, but also an opportunity for cool builds to try out, like a melee tank mage with a +deflection hatchet a shield.