Stronghold Bug; Kana breaks my party. Cannot change party members

Mordivier

Question

On both of my saves...I am on Act 3. I just get to Elmshore. I go back to my Stronghold to change out party members(because I never had a reason to change them back after taking Kana down into the Endless Paths).

When I arrive...I open the party management pane. I try to change party members. I cannot do so. They get removed from my party window at the bottom left...but the actual characters stay selectable on the main window screen. I change out Kana....he appears with a diamond on his head at the center of the stronghold map. It does not matter the ones I try to change. I am actually stuck with my party members...which means I cannot complete companion quests that require them to be in my party.

This is most likely related to the fact that if I were to go into Bright Hollow...I cannot zone into the second floor without having a black screen. I have a cursor like normal...but everything is black. Sometimes I hear character movement if I click somewhere, but I cannot even get a single window to pop up...not even pressing escape works. I have to Alt-Tab out and close down the game.

My saves are effectively screwed until you can fix this. Im shut out of content and cannot enjoy the game in this state.

Could someone please help me? I have over almost 60-70h invested so far. This is very disheartening.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

I'm with you on this though my game broke much earlier. There are several other posts on this which I will link because it is a game-breaking bug but currently I don't think that there's any fix for this until they release a patch, and even then they might not fix it because of the slew of other things they're working on. Obsidian hasn't really acknowledged this yet. I've been watching for it.

Links:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73471-group-change-bug/

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74509-serious-bugs-cant-change-party-members/

I'm with you on this though my game broke much earlier. There are several other posts on this which I will link because it is a game-breaking bug but currently I don't think that there's any fix for this until they release a patch, and even then they might not fix it because of the slew of other things they're working on. Obsidian hasn't really acknowledged this yet. I've been watching for it.

Links:

Well, I did some more testing and I loaded up a save BEFORE I went into the Endless Paths. I was able to enter into Bright Hollow and zone to the second floor AND I was able to switch party members.

My suspicion is that its based on his personal quest.

Until I am assured this is fixed...I think I am just going to skip recruiting him entirely on subsequent playthroughs.

Links:

Well, I did some more testing and I loaded up a save BEFORE I went into the Endless Paths. I was able to enter into Bright Hollow and zone to the second floor AND I was able to switch party members.

My suspicion is that its based on his personal quest.

Until I am assured this is fixed...I think I am just going to skip recruiting him entirely on subsequent playthroughs.

Okay. I did some more testing and I have isolated the problem exclusively to Kana himself.

I zoned into Cad Nua. I pressed the key to have the party management window pop up. I removed EVERYONE from the party. It showed them being dismissed, but they remained on the main window screen and I could still select them. I IMMEDIATELY, with only the main character selected, clicked on the map icon and zoned to another area.

I was then alone with my character. I saved my game. I zoned back to Cad Nua. I was still alone. My party members were NOT with me. I then entered the party management again. I added random party members EXCEPT for Kana...and they flashed/teleported to my main character and I had a full party. I did this multiple times WITHOUT Kana with different party combinations. I am now able to change party members at will....but I CANNOT get Kana back into the group. He is effectively stuck at Cad Nua. Whenever I try to add him in with others...he doesn't join, but half of the others do.

Even though I somehow was able to replicate this...I still get a black screen going into the second floor of the Bright Hollow building. I think the two are related specifically because this is the building where your party members go to when they are not with you.

There is something wrong with the Kana NPC and I think its the root of the party management issues.

• Like 1

Same here, I can confirm/support what the others are saying.

For me Kana reappeared in the party, but only with his starting equipment. Not sure why that was so, since I've dismissed him on multiple occasions (and for me at least his personal quest has long been completed, in Act 2, so this seems to be a problem in Act 3 only).

Edit: a (temporary) workaround is to not dismiss Kana from your party. Then all other party mechanics seem to work okay. If you already have, and you saved it, I don't think it can be helped...

I also noticed that his default Chant reappeared (March of the Kamoa), even though I'd replaced that way back at the beginning of the game.

He is also stuck in the conversation "That shade then, that was the great Od Nua?", no matter what response I give the next time the convo's the same.

Maybe this means that the game somehow tries to return him to his default state thus creating a conflict?

Edited by MisterV

I finally downloaded the 1.03 patch for my GoG version and I reloaded my saved games where I was having this issue; it is somehow fixed.

Kana was both in the center of the stronghold fully clothed AND on the bottom floor of the Bright Hollow Inn naked. I was both able to switch him in and out of my party AND I was able to zone into the second floor of Bright Hollow. After doing such and resting...Kana disappeared from those previous locations and is now where he should be in Bright Hollow - on the second floor in his room.

So, yeah. Great news. Anyone else have this fixed for them?

Got something like this bug too on patch 1.03

For explanation: My Party consists of 6 companions that I made myself

I switched one of them out for Kana to do the Quest -> Times and Tide

Killed the one Quest mob with him -> looted the tablet or whatever its supposed to be -> Quest complete -> go back to Caed Nua -> switch him out for my old companion

Result: Old companion gets added, Kana removed .... BUT instantly the Portrait for my 6th companion is gone (the last added one for Kana) but i can still move him

-> After map change -> he stands on the next map BUT is no longer part of my party - when I try to add him through the stronghold menu I got 2 different results with 4 tries

1. Result .... the bugged one with ALL the equipment still stands there and he is lost forever

2. Result ... the bugged one with ALL the equipment still stands there and I got a duplicate that is complete naked.

After one hour I finally managed to somehow get Kana out of my group and avoid the bug... but I cant remember how I managed that again -> was too stressed out

I still have the savegame right before going into the Quest chamber with Kana in my party... so if there is any interest I could upload it then all you have to do would be complete the quest like I described and go back up to Caed Nua and try to switch characters to the self created companion inside the stronghold and see if you also get these 2 results with a few tries.

EDIT:

Just downloaded the hotfix on Steam and immediatly tried it again. Seems like the hotfix did the trick since I was unable to reproduce the bug.

Edited by Xelo