Can we get the autosave feature for Trial of Iron?

Recently completed Trial of Iron cause I'm terrible at continuing characters that've died (dead-is-dead is THAT ingrained in my mind) so I figured "why not" after the third or fourth character death saw me deleting their files despite not needing to and despite my desire to practice with the game more, since I'm still on Normal difficulty (still can't decide if I should up it to hard, if I'm ready or not).

However, having now completed it and gotten the achievement, I honestly have no desire to keep it on simply because Trial of Iron offers no alternative saves and no autosaves. This means if your power goes out or something, then all progress is lost. Also means that if you encounter a bug or something? You're done. For people who also prefer to play more roleplay-ish and reload for mistakes...? You're also done. What I mean is, for example, I had not encountered a single instance of a character getting mad if I took the stuff in their house, then I found a SWEET LOOKIN' BOWLER HAT in a locked chest by an important quest NPC. Hell yeah I took that thing, and lo and behold I soon had half of the town guard attacking me. I was forced to keep this decision with the quest failing (luckily alternatives existed) and my character killing a load of innocent people (with sweet armor to loot, luckily), all for a hat. Apparently my character thought he was in the Team Fortress 2 universe for a moment, but had I had the autosave, I would've reloaded since theft felt out of character and I didn't mean to steal. I couldn't though unless I wanted to lose hours of progress.

Some of you might read this and say "then save more often, idiot." Thing is, Trial of Iron tosses you back to the main menu when you save whether you want it to or not. It assumes you're done saving and makes the save process that much more tedious. So at the very least, could a "would you like to continue playing" pop-up be added to Trial of Iron?

Currently it just feels like a feature I don't neccesarily need as it merely disrupts my saving ability, all for the sake of enforcing a rule that I'm responsible enough to follow on my own, should I choose that playstyle. I'll probably not be using it, but I see the other achievements involving it, I'll probably go for them, and I can just imagine my frustration if I lose hours of playtime one day because a glitch, crash or irreversable quest screw-up occurs.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Agree in full. The main reason I didn't play ToI yet isn't the difficulty factor (I too tend to leave a playthrough if I wipe or if the main character dies) but rather the lack of control. Without multiple save files I would never have been able to repair the damage caused by the stat-stacking bug or focus gain bug, and would be stuck waiting for a patch instead of enjoying the game. Also I enjoy playing around with conversations, seeing what happens if I try various options.

I see your problem, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of Trial of Iron. The whole point is that you only save when you're done playing. Change it as you describe and it won't really be Trial of Iron anymore, just a normal mode with a single save.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I see your problem, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of Trial of Iron. The whole point is that you only save when you're done playing. Change it as you describe and it won't really be Trial of Iron anymore, just a normal mode with a single save.

But what damage does that actually do if all files belonging to that character simultaneously get wiped if there's a death on one of them?

The only fear is that people would reload older saves once a newer proves unwinnable, which is ALREADY doable with the one file you have. Likewise, autosaves are frequent enough that it doesn't seem like something that would be used to cheese the system, but rather just a failsafe to prevent frustrating moments if you crash or the like.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I don't see why "rescue" mechanics should be needed if all the important gamebreaking bugs are sorted out. And if you play Ironman before those bugs are sorted out, then that's at your own risk.

How often does a power outage happen where you live? I haven't had one for years. And if it does, I have no problem reloading the much older save state (you lose one day of progress in the worst-case scenario).

If you take an item in a house or village, expect the NPCs to turn hostile towards you. That's just common sense. Also, I think the game warns you with a red mouse cursor when a loot container is inside a protected area.