Can I purchase physical copy of game?

Even the physical version is just a steam key with the game files less the day one patch, and it isn't available in North America. You could get a copy from GoG and burn your own disk(s) though.

For those of us that prefer physical discs, it is more than "just a steam key".  It is a cloth map, silk screened discs, box art, etc.  I personally always buy physical editions if possible.

Luckily I backed for a collectors edition physical box on kickstarter which is not a Steam key and has no drm.

Edited by Medwynd

I would very much appreciate a physical / hard copy of the game as well.  Are there any plans to market it in this format?  I don't mind buying just a digital version of a game, if it is several years old, or is a lower rated game.  But I really prefer to buy top games with all the bells and whistles in physical form.

That ship may have sailed for North America as the physical copies were Kickstarter reward exclusives. Retail versions are available in Europe though.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There's something fundamentally wrong with the fact that a game developed and produced in the U.S. is not available for retail purchase in the U.S., yet is in Europe. This likely has something to do with the fact that Obsidian contracted with a European company to publish the game. A move that I'm more and more thinking was bigtime fail.

It could also be that unfortunately, brick and mortar stores no longer dedicate significant shelf space for PC games unfortunately. Walk into a Fry's, Best Buy, Target --let alone a GameStop, and the PC games section consist nothing but WOW or Diablo and one offs here and there.

For whatever reason, it's console games that rule the retail marketplace here.

Thankfully, Steam and GOG have brought back PC exclusives back into the fold.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There's something fundamentally wrong with the fact that a game developed and produced in the U.S. is not available for retail purchase in the U.S., yet is in Europe. This likely has something to do with the fact that Obsidian contracted with a European company to publish the game. A move that I'm more and more thinking was bigtime fail.

Makes a change though from the great US of A to always appear to think that nothing exists outside of their borders.  We in the EU have been shafted or years and continue to be so regarding games versions and release dates.  Think how we have felt for years.

• Like 1

No physical copies in the US is pretty much the norm these days.  Why?  As noted above, stores just don't have shelf space any more to PC games.  10 years ago walk into a Best Buy and there would be 5 rows of PC games and software.  Today?  You'll see 2 editions of WOW, the latest Sims game and maybe a top shooter.  That's it.  So while POE could have a physical DVD for sale in the US, unless you're WOW or the Sims or GTA it wouldn't actually get on the shelves.  

Just the nature of the where we are and welcome to 2010 by the way, it's been this way for years.  Digital distribution is pretty much it via Steam, GOG, GMG or direct sales.  

Why physical copies available in Europe?  Because in some countries you can't legally get digital copies or Steam isn't available in that country or it's just not practical to download a 10+ gig game for many people. 

Again, been this way for a few years.  Perhaps people buying this game haven't bought a game in a while thus the continued questions on it that I rarely see on other game forums.  ;)

Edited by shibby191
  • Like 1

Makes a change though from the great US of A to always appear to think that nothing exists outside of their borders.  We in the EU have been shafted or years and continue to be so regarding games versions and release dates.  Think how we have felt for years.

I really have no sympathy if you're referring to games or any other product produced in the US or anywhere else outside of whatever nation you live in, especially when you cop such an attitude. Whatever the product, making it available first in the nation in which it is produced it what's generally done, for all sorts of good reasons.

Edited by Valsuelm

Generally done...or accepted by your country.  You're the one with the attitude by feeling somehow slighted we have it first?   get over it...nice to have pone up on you for a change.

Doesn't feel too great does it to come second, something as I said (which you proved my point beautifully with your response) has been happening to us for years.