How well will Pillars run on a MacBook Air?

rprkjj

Question

I'm fairly certain Pillars will run on my mom's laptop, but all I have is my brother's macbook at the moment and was wondering how well Pillars would run on it considering it doesn't seem to be graphically demanding what with the static background and all.

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

How well though?  Like what fps, settings, etc.?

I'm running on a 2013 Air through Bootcamp.

Get an FPS of around 20ish. Because of the nature of the game - ie minimal movement on largely static backgrounds - if looks perfectly fine. It not the sort of game you'd gain radically more ummph by having a higher FPS - it's still a lot smoother than Baldur's Gate II was on a top of the line machine at the time!

Until this thread, I hadn't even opened FRAPS to test it as it hadn't even occurred to me, which means it's pretty much perfectly playable. No idea about settings - I can't find anything to fiddle with in the graphics options, which means either it's doing it automatically or everyone gets the same vanilla settings.

Playing on the native OS on the Air may differ, of course (I'm also using the latest Intel drivers).

Edited by City6

I tried playing it on my windows partition and on my OS X partition on my 2012 macbook pro.

Believe it or not, it actually worked better on OS X, but that could be (and most probably is) a thing on my side.

When playing on Mac, be sure to turn of vsync and anti-aliasing!

I'm fairly certain Pillars will run on my mom's laptop, but all I have is my brother's macbook at the moment and was wondering how well Pillars would run on it considering it doesn't seem to be graphically demanding what with the static background and all.

Thanks.

Hi 

I successfully ran PoE on my Macbook Air 2013, actually with Parallel 10. I installed Windows Thin PC and other necessary accessories (DirectX, Phyx, etc. ) ....turning out the Macbook air can run the game smoothly.

But here are some fun things,

1. It is a 32-bit system, so the game does crash occasionally, the same as other 32-bit Windows systems.

2. Sometime when you open the game, it runs very smoothly, with more than 30 FPS during the whole gaming. You can zoom in and out and nothing bad happened. However,  there is sometime there is lag, with less than 25 FPS. I still can not figure out why.

Anyway, the right answer is that you can run the game on a macbook air. And it runs well. But the fan noise, you know..  I really don't care. 

I got through Act 1 on a MacBook Air (13 inch, mid 2013) w/ the i5 1.3GHz, Intel HD graphics 5000 & 4GB RAM on Yosemite.

PoE started out crashing rarely to crashing everytime any kind of saving or loading takes place. I am reinstalling it now, I hope that works, I will update shortly w/ the results.

When PoE worked it played great. Just wish there were more graphics options to reduce the quality / increase performance.

The lowest resolution I could get to on a 27" LED external display was 720p which made it look like you were always zoomed in. They should add more graphics options in the next few patchs.

If the game did not crash everytime it loads/saves and I could zoom out more at lower resolutions all would be great, I will have to hope the next patch fixes these things to play. 

Not sure what the problem is: Mac Hardware or Yosemite or PoE itself? Should I get a refund?

I got through Act 1 on a MacBook Air (13 inch, mid 2013) w/ the i5 1.3GHz, Intel HD graphics 5000 & 4GB RAM on Yosemite.

PoE started out crashing rarely to crashing everytime any kind of saving or loading takes place. I am reinstalling it now, I hope that works, I will update shortly w/ the results.

When PoE worked it played great. Just wish there were more graphics options to reduce the quality / increase performance.

The lowest resolution I could get to on a 27" LED external display was 720p which made it look like you were always zoomed in. They should add more graphics options in the next few patchs.

If the game did not crash everytime it loads/saves and I could zoom out more at lower resolutions all would be great, I will have to hope the next patch fixes these things to play. 

Not sure what the problem is: Mac Hardware or Yosemite or PoE itself? Should I get a refund?

Reinstalling did not help... however the crashes load/save are more random now, weird...

I have a exactly the same Macbook air with Yosemite 10.10.2 as yours except for the 8GB RAM. I used to run it on Parallels 10 but now I bought Mac Os version on Steam. It runs very smooth without any crashes at any circumstance (only once when I save my game for first time). 

I agree with you, hoping more graphics options appear in next patches. 

Guess something wrong with game engine since so many problems in Windows system.

Hi, 

Playing on late 2013 MBA, i7 with 8 GIgs of ram. Lowered the resoulution and the performance is pretty satisfying. Of course I run OS X 10.10.

Gome slows down only when there's many enemies during battle, but still it's not a slideshow.

Anyway, plenty of bugs occurs but it's not related to hardware conf.

• Like 1

Reinstalling did not help... however the crashes load/save are more random now, weird...

Patch 1.03 fixed the crashing problem. Now just wish I could zoom out more at lower resolutions.