Quest bug in the Gilded Vale

Desomega

Question

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, i posted this to the steam community discussions and was told to come here.

There's a quest in Gilded Vale called Against the Grain. It's listed under the tasks section in the journal.

I talked to Trumbel and convinced him to lower the grain prices, then went to Sweynur to report such. While in the conversation with Sweynur, i saw that i had a diplomatic dialogue choice asking him to let up on Trumbel. I took it, thinking i could get a sort of "everyone ends up working together" sort of thing going for the end of this quest.

Turns out though, if you choose that dialogue option, Sweynur tells you to go back to Trumbel and tell him that they'll lay off him, but you can't do that. You can't tell Trumbel anything, as he just gives the ordinary "This won't last." floating text. You also cannot talk to Sweynur after this, as he just continues to tell you to go speak to Trumbel, effectively making the quest incompletable.

11 answers to this question

Offer to buy them a round and bring 3 beers to Syewnur and see if that opens up more dialogue options,it worked for me.

"Very well permit me on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come fist to the 7th Army"- Duiker:Memories of Ice

Hi Desomega,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in the way you stated. Could you give me your exact dialogue choices and steps used. Thanks!

I don't know the exact dialogue choices (that would require me reloading a save around that point, which i don't have), but i can tell you approximately the steps i went through.

The quest was initiated when i approached the grain mill. I saw the villagers arguing with Trumbel, and then march off. I immediately went inside, spoke with Trumbel, and caught him lying (i believe there was a resolve check involved, i remember the required stat number being 14) about not having enough grain. There were other stat check options available afterwards, but i don't believe i had enough in said stats to proceed with them, so i believe i used a diplomatic option to convince him to share his grain (something along the lines of "Is it worth putting your family in danger over this grain?").

Afterwards, the conversation ended with him telling me to go inform Sweynur, and generally being grumpy about it. I didn't immediately go do that, however, because i didn't know where Sweynur was. I went through the Temple of Eothas, completed its associated quest, and then went to to inn and stumbled upon Sweynur.

I initiated conversation (at this point i had some sort of modifier for speaking with Gilded Vale townspeople, i think, because next to his name while he spoke was a phrase indicating friendly reputation) and i believe asked him what was troubling him. He told me about Trumbel, and i had a diplomatic option appear to convince Sweynur and his buddies to back off of the miller(i believe the option was something along the lines of "Don't you think you've been hard on Trumbel? It's time for you to rely on your fellow farmers now" or something). On the screen of dialogue choices i also had to option to simply tell him that Trumbel agreed to lower prices, but i figured it couldn't hurt to go with the diplomatic choice for my paladin order. So he told me to go inform Trumbel that they'd lay off him, and the conversation ended.

That's where the problem is, as i cannot initiate conversation with either Trumbel or Sweynur. Both of them simply have floating text when i click on them, as if they were ordinary villagers now (though it is contextual, with Sweynur saying "You've gotten what you wanted, what else do you want with us?" and Trumbel telling me that the grain won't last much longer now).

Sorry for not being able to get any more specific, the only save i have near this point is in the Temple of Eothas, about halfway through the second level of it, which is after i convinced Trumbel to lower prices, but before i spoke with Sweynur.

I'm having the same issue.

Basically, I went to the mill and saw the argument. I went inside and talked to the miller. Here I was able to pass a 14 point resolve check twice (one to put the weapon down, one to stop lying to me) Then I mention that the other guy was a farmer. Then I asked him if it was worth his families life, he then decided to charge the same amount all around for grain. I went to the inn and spoke to the guy there. He had an option in which I asked him if (and I paraphrase heavily here, but I believe it was the middle choice) if this was really all worth the trouble. There may have been a resolve check before that.  I'm not sure. He decided it wasn't and said he would leave the miller alone. Like the OP, I thought this was a compromise ending to this quest. However, the quests is still open and I cannot turn it in. I also cannot initiate dialogue with any of the characters involved. They just display a sentence that basically says something akin to, "Leave me alone" or "I'm running out of grain" (again I'm paraphrasing heavily.) 

I had a similar issue here.

Quest started, saw the argument. Rather than going into the mill, I went to the tavern. I talked to the farmers, bought them a drink, then chose the "You're being too hard on him" option to get them to relent, telling me to go talk to Trumbel.

I go to the mill, then talk to Trumbel. I chose the intelligence options, one of which talks about the magistrate, then convince Trumbel to share the grain with the farmers. He tells me to go talk to Sweynur.

I can no longer complete the quest; both routes locked. The journal is stuck on return to Trumbel.

Okay, I started a new game. I'm going to go through the sequence to try to repeat the glitch (Spoilers below)

Watch Sweynur arguing outside

Go to tavern - meet Aloth, assist him with thugs

Talk to Pasca - get thanked for saving Tenfrith

From here, I will list all choices:

Talk to Sweynur:

"I saw you outside of the mill..."

"What if I buy you all a round..."

End Dialogue

Talk to Pasca

"I'd like to buy a round..."

"[Resolve 12] Please, if I can..."

End Dialogue

Talk to Sweynur

"I've brought drinks..."

"Look, there's no sense..."

End Dialogue

Talk to Trumbel

"Hold on. I'm not here..."

"What was all that ruckus..."

"[Resolve 14] If you don't want..."

"[intellect 12] People like the Magistrate?"

"[Resolve 17] The magistrate's not waiting..."

End Dialogue

The quest is no longer solvable. My journal states "Report to Trumbel", but talking to him further just provides the floating text message "We're going through stores..." and talking to Sweynur no longer works, either. 

Version 1.0.4.0540 -steam

Hope this helps!

This bug is still a thing by the way, ran into it myself just recently.

I imagine it would be quite simple to fix this and it would be good to not have quests that are impossible to complete in the game I think, for qualities sake. 

Really easy to replicate this one, just pick the ultra good guy dialog choices (buy drinks for the farmers, get the grainier to offer fair prices)  for each of the respective npcs and you'll get it everytime. As stated by Atramagus.

Quest softlocks are fun. 

I'm having some internet connectivity issues and my last post didn't seem to post so sorry if this is a repeat. I just wanted to get out there that this is still a thing. I recently bought the game and just started it a couple days ago. I went to the mill first then the tavern essentially telling them both to compromise with the other and now it is impossible to finish the quest. The two main characters in the quest only give the canned dialogue bubbles, and no options for me to talk to them.