Installing pillars on 2 pc's

well then again you wont read books at the same time and sure your family can watch you play a game (as they would do with a movie) as others have pointed out family sharing is basically lending them to seomeone (which is why you cannot play simultaneously) if you lend a friend a book for two weeks you wont be able to read it for that time correct?

you are actually not owning the content of the book btw, which is why you are not allowed to copy and sell it. But you are correct the book in itself is yours.

well then again you wont read books at the same time and sure your family can watch you play a game (as they would do with a movie) as others have pointed out family sharing is basically lending them to seomeone (which is why you cannot play simultaneously) if you lend a friend a book for two weeks you wont be able to read it for that time correct?

you are actually not owning the content of the book btw, which is why you are not allowed to copy and sell it. But you are correct the book in itself is yours.

I'll agree that two people playing one copy of a game at the same time is pushing it; I was addressing the "buy two copies if you want to play it on two devices" thing/the EULA earlier that was talking about only installing games on one machine.  That's just ridiculous.

I'll agree that two people playing one copy of a game at the same time is pushing it; I was addressing the "buy two copies if you want to play it on two devices" thing/the EULA earlier that was talking about only installing games on one machine.  That's just ridiculous.

well yeas, then your option is the Drm free version or you can use the family sharing option steam provides that enables you too install it on different machines. basically if you use the same steam account on different devices you will not be hindered in playing the game unless you want to play it simultaneously. GOG would be the better option for that imho since you dont have to f*** around with the steam installs.

• Like 1

Just to make it clear, the whole "buying a license and not actually owning a game" thing is a direct result of the DMCA; it exists because of extensive work by major software companies as a way to control buying habits and force larger profit margins. The need to purchase two copies is a direct result of this corporate greed; it wasn't always like that.

No. it's been like that since the mid 80's at least. The majority of case law since then has stated that EULA's are valid and enforceable contracts.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I'm not licensing the right to read a book when I pay for it; I own that book.  And I refuse to view or treat games or movies or anything else in a different light purely because some billionaire somewhere feels they're not quite rich enough yet.

Such a single minded view... I assure you that there far FAR more entitled pricks on the internet, who never worked a day in their life and feel that they should be able to get everything for free.. Such laws are about strike balance and need to adapt with time\progress (change from physical to digital commodities and the internet). Also despite best effort, there will always be self righteous people (on all sides) whining that they have been swindled.

I bet that most who has played BG in their teens, at one time or another lended a book, movie etc. The problem started when it became too easy to "lend", lending became copying (using multiple copies at the same time) and instead of limited pool of friend it became anyone on the internet(sharing).

EDIT:

Btw iirc even the books you thin you "own", has legal notice that you can't copy\reproduce any of its material without permission.

Also concerning steam, as it has been pointed out, you can already legally play on different machines (just not at the same time) and even share games among your house hold. Which is pretty much all the things you mentioned that you should be able to do.

Edited by Tort