[480] More/consistant feedback when stealing

Headbomb

Question

It's very hard to tell if taking something from a container is considered stealing or not.

For instance, the urn in the Temple of Berath, is being observed by the local priest. If you hover the container with the cursor, the hand cursor is tinted red. If you open it and take what's inside, you lose reputation in Dyrford for stealing. Makes sense.

Now if you go in Winfrith's shop, or the Mill next to the bridge, there are some containers lying around with nearby NPCs. If you hover the container with the cursor, the hand cursor is tinted red. If you open it and take what's inside, you do not lose reputation in Dyrford for stealing.

Some consistency here would be greatly appreciated. Possible solutions depending on what the game logic is

1] If the container is un-owned, the hand should not be tinted red.

2] If you don't want to highlight the owned/unowned distinction in the UI, then the hand cursor should not be in a redish hue. That's just misleading.

3] If the condition for a reputation loss is that you steal from an owned container, then this should be universally enforced. This likely means reviewing every area/container to see if they are owned or not. Likewise if the condition is that you steal from an owned container AND get caught by being in the owner's visual range (or from someone belonging to the same faction as the owner), which I hope is employed by the game's logic.

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

[!]

There's visual feedback for whether or not something is considered stealing !?

*checks in-game*

Huh. So there is.

Addendum to bug report :

Guys, this is what you have a Colorblind Mode for.

I mean, I can see it now, once pointed out - but the difference between the two cursors (Safe Looting / Stealing) is not obvious to me, and I doubt I would have noticed it by myself later on.