Suggestion: Fighter movement ability

Cubiq

I like new ideas when they are clearly beneficial. I don't think the Melee Engagement system is a good one though, but as I said previously, before I start campaigning against it, I'm going to give them a bit of a chance to fix it. 

Even with the delay there still isn't that much time until release. If you think engagement needs to go; you better start campaigning now. In a month or so it'll be too late; if it's not too late already.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'll wait until the next patch and probably collaboratively test it with Cubiq and others, otherwise it'll be featuring in a Sensuki's Suggestion :p

We'll see whether we can make a good case, as I fear it might be an unpopular opinion.

Edited by Sensuki

Okay, I can't figure out certain things, but... if the idea is to make sure people can't just run past everyone all willy-nilly (specifically front-line melee-ers like Fighters), then what if:

A) Engagement simply slowed you way, way down (to walking-ish speed), until you successfully broke engagement (either via an ability like Escape or Grimoire Slam, or possibly via some kind of successful combat roll on each attack or something?), and...

B) Forcefully breaking engagement (simply running away, even at your slow pace -- leaving your foe's engagement radius or whathaveyou) incurred a guaranteed critical hit, or something similar?

Basically, at the very least, a Fighter's going to slow you down a lot, and get a lot of free hits on you if you're just planning on slow-mo jogging past him. If you're the only person your foe is engaging, then you wouldn't ever get to simply flee engagement, because of your slow speed. But, if you DO just waltz past him, (if he's occupied by other combatants, or however you do it), then you're still going to eat a significant bit of damage. So, it's a pretty good trade-off. However, it's still possible to get past/get away from engagement, using limited means of doing so.

*shrug*

Obviously, engagement zones would still have to be shown clearly, either via a press-and-hold-to-display hotkey (probably along with other tactical data that you don't want floating about on the battlefield all the time), and/or during pause. That, and I still don't know how to handle the "ownership" of engagement. Seems like if two people are melee-engaged, it should be a two-way street. I guess "whoever's moving" works for disengagement AoO determinance, but... I dunno, that still feels really crude.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u