Steam - Disk Read Error

Osvir

Steam asks me to go to their support site, but now I've done everything they've asked for and it still ain't working, so I'm trying my luck here.

Pillars of Eternity seems to be in a constant 99.99% update state, as if it is constantly missing a file or something. I didn't have any problems with v301 before so I'm curious what may have happened.

These are the things I've done:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9709-FKCB-4230&l=english (Disk Read Error)
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129 (Moving Installation)

There is zero issues with any other games I have, and no game or software I have, have demonstrated this error before.

EDIT: This also happens if I uninstall and try to install (though, activating the product yet again in Steam does make it start downloading but getting stuck at 99%). I have about 500 GB free btw.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3794-QUAZ-4384&l=english (Not Enough Free Space)

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Yes that happened to me as well in some weird manner. Except all of the data was in the appropriate SteamApps folder.

There was also an issue where the bulk of the data got sent to "Downloading" for some reason, and only 42-ish megabytes occupied the install folder.

What do you see if you check your "Steam\SteamApps\Common" or "Steam\SteamApps\Downloading" Bryy?

Edited by Osvir

Next issue on the line:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8676-EFLX-7453&l=english&steamid=76561198011577961&errortype=EAppUpdateError&errorvalue=28 (Missing Executable)

Appcache deleted... (check)
Restarted steam... (check)
Restarted computer... (check)
Running as admin... (check)
Flushed Steam... (check)

Nothing works, I guess I'll wait for an update.

• 2 weeks later...

... Because it's corrupting the parts of your brain that are telling you you can wait to play the finished product? *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 weeks later...

This is also happening to me. Bitdefender - PoE = Virus and Trojan.

Why?

Steam says something about Bitdefender~ if you look at one of the links I posted in one of my previous posts in this thread. They got all the info.

But it is odd that is only PoE and nothing else is affected. Probably some unknown new asset file in Pillars of Eternity that Bitdefender is all "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS IT MUST BE DANGEROUS!?!?!? QUARANTIIIIIIINE!!" *squueeeel* (for some reason, that's how Bitdefender has come to sound to me xD). I had to delete everything Pillars of Eternity (remove local content and delete all left over files manually) and re-download it when v333 released, it works fine now :)

- If you have any trouble with Pillars of Eternity (can't run), try "Remove Local Content" and Delete files manually in SteamApps/Downloaded and in SteamApps/Common

- Re-download/Re-install

- In Bitdefender, "Show" it and click "Quarantined files" (IIRC) and click "Exclude" on pillarsofeternity.exe

Edited by Osvir

This is also happening to me. Bitdefender - PoE = Virus and Trojan.

Why?

Steam says something about Bitdefender~ if you look at one of the links I posted in one of my previous posts in this thread. They got all the info.

But it is odd that is only PoE and nothing else is affected. Probably some unknown new asset file in Pillars of Eternity that Bitdefender is all "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS IT MUST BE DANGEROUS!?!?!? QUARANTIIIIIIINE!!" *squueeeel* (for some reason, that's how Bitdefender has come to sound to me xD). I had to delete everything Pillars of Eternity (remove local content and delete all left over files manually) and re-download it when v333 released, it works fine now :)

- If you have any trouble with Pillars of Eternity (can't run), try "Remove Local Content" and Delete files manually in SteamApps/Downloaded and in SteamApps/Common

- Re-download/Re-install

- In Bitdefender, "Show" it and click "Quarantined files" (IIRC) and click "Exclude" on pillarsofeternity.exe

Thank you