zoomin in with the mouse closer

I agree, this is one of the first things I noticed as well. We want to look at our characters!

On that note, Fable had an almost tongue-in-cheek character closeup mode where it would be like 10 cm from your character and you could admire all the polygons and texture stretching. Not that I'm asking for that in PoE.

I think the logic here is the game is supposed to look and feel like an IE game which did not have camera zoom.

That's a really, really terrible reason to do anything. BGEE has zooming, anyway, and it's the only thing really making those games worth buying (but damn is it important on today's 1960×1080+ resolutions)

• Like 1

*shrug*. I can say that, in a complete vacuum, it's nice to zoom in and see your peeps up close and personal. But, this isn't really the type of game that's made for that. For one thing, you can't change the angle at all, so you can't really "look over" your character in all their splendor. Secondly, the models aren't ultra-high-res specifically because they're only viewable from that one angle. Etc.

It's not that you COULDN'T zoom farther. It's just that... this game wouldn't really take much advantage of such a feature.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe a half-scroll could work, just to see things a little more clearly, but nothing as close-up as NWN2 or Grim Dawn due to reasons Lephys highlighted. A half-scroll worth of zooming might be enough to sate some of the non-zoom concerns and keep graphical assets crisp. It would allow people who might have impaired vision to perhaps see the UI, characters and other environmental assets more easily.

The reason you cannot zoom in any further is because the background art would become pixelated/distorted - just like it would if you zoom in closer on a jpg image.

Zooming in further than source resolution is horrible.

I think the logic here is the game is supposed to look and feel like an IE game which did not have camera zoom.

That's a really, really terrible reason to do anything. BGEE has zooming, anyway, and it's the only thing really making those games worth buying (but damn is it important on today's 1960×1080+ resolutions)

I'm not making a judgment call on it one way or the other I'm just telling ya why it is.

The reason you cannot zoom in any further is because the background art would become pixelated/distorted - just like it would if you zoom in closer on a jpg image.

Zooming in further than source resolution is horrible.

I didn't think about that...

More zoom would require better resolution for ALL the 2D backgrounds. It's not worthy the time and effort.

sign.jpg