Freeze when trying to start game

Zulgeek

Question

I choose 'New Game'.

I choose my difficulty.

It shows where is says 'Obsidian Games Presents' or something like that.

The camera pans up showing the light shafts coming through the window.

The screen goes black and I can hear crickets and a campfire.

It just stays there. Black screen. Looping sound effects. Nothing else.

The only thing I can do at that point is ctrl+alt+del and it says that it's not responding and I have to stop the program. Anyone else run into this? Is there a known fix? I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

2 answers to this question

I choose 'New Game'.

I choose my difficulty.

The only thing I can do at that point is ctrl+alt+del and it says that it's not responding and I have to stop the program. Anyone else run into this? Is there a known fix? I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Hey, DanceNinja. It is possible that your game isn't frozen, but still in the load screen. Sometimes on slower systems (and even some faster ones) it can take a while to load into the game. Try letting it sit for much longer than you normally would (maybe 10 minutes) and if it still doesn't load up, you may be having another issue.

Can you attach a dxdiag from your system, please? To get a DxDiag press Windows Key + R, then type in dxdiag and hit run. On the menu that comes up, press the "Save All Information" button and save out the file. A DxDiag will list most of your computer's information so we can diagnose the problem properly.

I choose 'New Game'.

I choose my difficulty.

I had this problem and alt-tabbing out and back in seemed to fix it.

Although that might just be that the game had time to finish loading while I was alt-tabbing, so maybe just waiting works.