Minor General Mechanics Questions

I have a few general mechanics questions for the devs regarding consistency between the IE titles and Pillars of Eternity

Color coded names:

How are character names color coded in Pillars of Eternity? The Baldur's Gate games used the major clothing color of a character for their name in dialogue window and combat log, whereas the Icewind Dales used a different format. 

Combat/ready stance:

Characters in the Icewind Dale games lacked a "combat stance" between actions, which looked jarring. Will characters (and creatures) in Pillars of Eternity have a combat stance for the recovery time between actions (like the stance in Baldur's Gate after characters were moved)?

Melee Engagement and Chasing: 

There was a discussion recently about how Melee Engagement works when chasing people down on the battlefield. My understanding is that the attacker has to be stationery (among other things) for melee engagement to qualify. What happens when a character with a fast movement speed catches a slower character and plays their attack animation? When does Melee Engagement trigger? If the unit moves out of range during the attack animation before the hit frame, is the attack cancelled or does it keep playing?

Spell-casting animation:

I noticed that Cadegund used a simple 'use' gesture when casting Priest spells in the recent videos, which probably stems from the fact that Wizards cast one handed due to holding a Grimoire and that animation has been ported across. Is 'school' color-coded casting FX combined with an IE-style casting animation planned for PE similar to the IE games or are you going for something different?

Edited by Sensuki

Melee Engagement and Chasing: 

There was a discussion recently about how Melee Engagement works when chasing people down on the battlefield. My understanding is that the attacker has to be stationery (among other things) for melee engagement to qualify. What happens when a character with a fast movement speed catches a slower character and plays their attack animation? When does Melee Engagement trigger? If the unit moves out of range during the attack animation before the hit frame, is the attack cancelled or does it keep playing?

JS answered this at least in part:

If you can catch up to the character, it should. As soon as the pursuer stops moving, they will engage the enemy (meaning the enemy stops). The enemy can move away, but that immediately provokes a Disengagement Attack. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66155-attack-speed/?p=1446506

I assume that all attacks\actions\abilities are initiated from stationary position only and that upon catching its pray the pressure will auto-stop. Which would lead to engagement, forcing the pray to stop. From here its normal combat, if the pray attempt to move away at any point before/after hit frame it will suffer disengagement attack.

Although how the "free" disengagement attack animation work with everything else is little sketchy.

Edited by Mor

How are character names color coded in Pillars of Eternity? The Baldur's Gate games used the major clothing color of a character for their name in dialogue window and combat log, whereas the Icewind Dales used a different format.

I did not notice this at the time but now you point it out the BG system is brilliant and so obvious! Retain that feature!

Casting animation one got answered on Something Awful

Druid/priest spellcasting animations are shared. They have a directional ("throwing" the spell) and reflexive (around themselves) anim. Wizards also have two anims for directional and reflexive, but they always have their grimoire in hand. Ciphers put their hand (or both hands) up near their head and then push toward their target. Chanters lean back and then thrust their heads forward for their invocations (only one anim).

The free attack is a ghosted animation. I did read the quote, I just wanted some further clarification.

We know that disengagement attack cause hit animation on the fleeing character, but I am not sure what goes on the attacker side. Ghosted animation? as in there no visual feedback on the attacker side or maybe it will restart\speed-up his current attack and attempt to reengage?

Btw, can a fighter in defense mode engaging several targets switch his focus? ( I hope that spotting who is swinging (engaging) won't be too hard, better yet a note or visual feedback might be nice )

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also add a question in here as it seems like a better place than starting it's own topic.

Is there any word on if weapons will sheathe when out-of-combat? It always felt slightly odd in BG2 wandering through the government district past nobles and VIPs with massive swords in-hand.

Crit happens

^ We know that certain weapons (Second set only?) will be worn on the back, and going by this screenshot from the trailer (top right) swords will be worn on the hip:

nyfqxi.jpg

So I don't know if we will have the option to sheathe weapons out-of-combat, but it is possible that main hand sword will be sheath automatically when outside of combat. At least i believe that it is something that is very easy todo.

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1