Obsidian, what's in your name? Names, of course!

I just realized that the company name Obsidian consists of three names: Ob-Sid-Ian. Having deciphered this secret code, I can now give you the true meaning.

First, I learnt from the absolutely bizarre site kabalarians.com that the name Ob entails this:

• Your name Ob gives you a strong sense of responsibility in business and material affairs, and the practicality and determination to make a success of anything you undertake.

• Your ability to organize and direct the efforts of others enables you to excel in any managerial position because you have the ability to grasp the concept of a goal complete with an understanding of the steps to be taken.

• This name has allowed you to develop depth and breadth of mind.

• You are able to retain facts, to grasp new information to your existing store of knowledge.

• You never seem to be out of your depth of understanding.

• For these reasons others who may not have the same quickness of mind classify you as a "know it all" and, although you may be highly respected, this characteristic is unlikely to endear you to your associates.

• You have a very responsible nature, are capable and mature, and are willing to assume a position as a pillar of the community.

• You are quite healthy, but possible trouble areas are found in the generative organs.

You can't contradict Kabalarian Philosophy, it's just divine.

The next name in Obsidian is of course Sid, and it's not Sid Meier of the Civilization franchise we're talking about. Obviously, it's Sid Vicious from Sex Pistols who set the spirit free and wild.

Sid Vicious' true name was John Ritchie, but like Siddharta turning to Buddha, a pivotal defining moment in his youth changed everything:

Ritchie was given the nickname "Sid Vicious" by John Lydon, after Lydon's pet hamster, Sid. The hamster had bitten Ritchie, who said that "Sid is really vicious!" The animal was described by Lydon as "the softest, furriest, weediest thing on earth."

Obsidian knows this, but their favourite pet is not a hamster, but a badger, so they have infused their sacred name with a vicious badger that last was seen in MotB.

The last name in Obsidian Is Ian. In this case, after quite some digging and more or less illegal research, I can reveal with certainty that it's the spirit of Ian Livingstone that is evoked. His brilliant FF-books and sharp D&D contributions makes him an ideal candidate to strengthen any CRPG endeavours.

How clever of you, Obsidian! But now your closely guarded secret is out, so deal with it! :w00t:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

someone had too much time on his hands

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Suddenly, I feel like I'm on a Rareware forums discussing Stop 'n Swop theories...:p

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.