Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PoE Racial Archetypes

race culture behavior archetype

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5036 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm curious to find out what the developer's take is going to be with the various races. I know they have some geographical-based categories they have listed before, as well as some regional cultures, but what about the racially-specific cultures and behavioral norms? Will they be using stock archetypes for elves and dwarves, or implementing something a little different? Will elves be tree-hugging, poetry spouting, effeminate artsy-fartsy types? Are the dwarves going to be beer belching, beard toting, grumpy gold hoarders?

What do you think?

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3949 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I thought that they were trying to avoid stereotypes even if some of the races themselves are regularly featured in fantasy works.

khalil

khalil

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I hope at least one portion of each race confirms to stereotype, because otherwise there's no point in using the standard races at all.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I believe that Mr Sawyer is going for general cultural archetypes which the various fantastic species (Elves, Dwarves) are a part of, thus the Dwarves of the Dyrwood will think of themselves as proud, independent pioneers, just the same as the various Human races colonising the Dyrwood do.

• tajerio likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: race, culture, behavior, archetype

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users