Gravity Falls: Disney's Twin Peaks

Bryy

Anyone else watch this show on Disney? I had my doubts at first, but now am on episode 17 of a two day binge. It's incredibly smart. Oh, and Obsidian should definitely get the rights for an RPG. The lore on this show is just incredible, and Avellone and the boyz I'm sure would have a field day.

I had to look this up.

Gravity Falls is an American animated television series produced by Disney... The series was created by Alex Hirsch a former writer for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Fish Hooks.

Intrigued, I looked up The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack.

The series revolves around Flapjack and Cap'n K'nuckles. Flapjack is a young boy raised by a talking whale named Bubbie. Flapjack leads a peaceful life until the duo rescues a pirate by the name of Cap'n K'nuckles, who tells Flapjack of a place called Candied Island, which is made completely of candy. Inspired by the adventurous pirate, Flapjack, Cap'n K'nuckles and Bubbie get into strange predicaments and "misadventures" in search of candy, Candied Island and the coveted title of "Adventurer".

I'm guessing the writer is not doing something similar to his previous work on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. :mellow: 

• Like 1

Anyone else watch this show on Disney? I had my doubts at first, but now am on episode 17 of a two day binge. It's incredibly smart. Oh, and Obsidian should definitely get the rights for an RPG. The lore on this show is just incredible, and Avellone and the boyz I'm sure would have a field day.

I'm pretty sure that the kid isn't allow to drink coffee.

Edit: A more pertinent question is " Is Twin Peaks the new Citizen Kane buzzword?"

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Edit: A more pertinent question is " Is Twin Peaks the new Citizen Kane buzzword?"

Well, it's the truth in this case,

Just cause they copied the red room scene, that doesn't qualify. Everyone copies that scene.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Just cause they copied the red room scene, that doesn't qualify. Everyone copies that scene.

Have you watched the show?

A few favourite episodes (don't recall their names):

-The one with the wax dolls and that mean one taking the fight all the way up on the roof.

-The one with that weird pensioner ghost couple in a store. Their disdain for teenagers is legendary

-And the finale of season 1, with the dream demon that enter Stan's mind to get the safe code for the deed in Mystery Shack

But all of those I've seen are good and very unpredictable. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Have you watched the show?

I've seen a few episodes to see what the buzz was all about but it didn't quite catch me, maybe modern cartoons aren't for me. The reason why i'm dubious of your comparison is that a lot of cartoons have referenced Twin Peaks without ever achieving the same level of quality (they are meant for children after all) but since I've seen a recent rise in popularity in Twin Peaks (myself included) I believe that the show is fresh on some people's mind and as it is a good show there will be some who try to emulate it but will fail as a copy of a copy will always have twice the errors.

Of course since I haven't followed the show you may be right for all I know.

village_idiot.gif

I've seen a few episodes to see what the buzz was all about but it didn't quite catch me, maybe modern cartoons aren't for me. The reason why i'm dubious of your comparison is that a lot of cartoons have referenced Twin Peaks without ever achieving the same level of quality (they are meant for children after all) but since I've seen a recent rise in popularity in Twin Peaks (myself included) I believe that the show is fresh on some people's mind and as it is a good show there will be some who try to emulate it but will fail as a copy of a copy will always have twice the errors.

Of course since I haven't followed the show you may be right for all I know.

The ongoing story, the references directly to TP, the mystery, the setting, the characters, are all reasons I say it's - well, it IS directly inspired by Twin Peaks, but that doesn't mean it is not its own thing entirely. Besides Batman, it's one of the most involved animated shows I've ever seen.

Don't knock it because "it's a cartoon".