On the confirmed attributes for PE

One last suggestion regarding the might thing:

Strength  - Increases base physical attacks and "touch" magical attacks

Intelligence - Increases AOE for everyone

Not going to go any further but I think that would be quite a cool system whereby you could have a physically strong mage who focuses on touch attacks, or a weaker one who focuses on ranged attacks, not perfect ofc but further revisions could be made.

I think I'm gonna leave it alone now and wait for a comment/announcement.

No, my probability skills aren't horribly off you just haven't looked up how they're handling accuracy and crit chance. This isn't a you have a %chance to hit and then a secondary roll for a % chance to crit 'if' you landed a hit. It's a sliding scale. If your accuracy vs their defense are in the equals, with out any talents or what not to muckery up any of it your looking at a 5% chance to straight up miss, 45% chance to 'glance' (that's half damage) a 45% chance to hit for normal damage and a 5% chance to crit. Thats...

5:45:45:5

Alright, now if you where to lets say gain 20% chance accuracy in this same situation your 'chance to hit' still remains 45%, it 'slides it'. Ultimately this means you cannot miss, at all, and your chance to 'glance' is lessened and your crit chance is increased. You would have a 30% chance to glance, a 45% chance to hit and a 25% chance to 'crit', or...

0:30:45:25

So as you can see with this super old information... accuracy, ultimately, results in waay more crit chance as it literally translates to crit chance. It doesn't 'widen' your hit or glance windows it just 'slides the scales' in your favor. Now There has been mention of talents that will 'increase' the hit chance or crit chance windows. I believe a crit chance increase actually eats into your hit chance window. So say you have the base 5:45:45:5 and you got a talent that was +5% crit chance, instead of sliding the scale it would eat into your normal hits I believe for a 5:45:40:10 scenario. It might eat into your glances though im unsure.

Anyway if you want to crit a lot, your going to need to focus on dexterity and your general hit chance. Oh and Critical hits are 50% dmg increase (150% total, or x1.5 dmg).

• Like 1

Def Con: kills owls dead

Fair enough, In that case I apologise Adhin and I'm slightly less concerned about what i thought was going to be a painfully simple combat system, I remembered the different damage types but I don't remember seeing that stuff, do you know which update it was in?

Also, do you know if this sliding scale applies to magical damage as well as physical?

It applies to all defense/attack types yeah. It's even a determining factor in how offensive debuff style stuff effects things. That is to say there is a 'glancing' effect if you where to hit someone with a poison spell, lets say. If you roll low against there fortitude it'll still 'effect' them but at a heavily reduced duration, where as a high roll, or crit would give a duration boost. The whole point of it is to normalize stuff a bit more from the basic on/off switch most of these things are in DnD. I mean generally the spell either effects, or fails to effect and that's that. They want there to be more variation with less complete and total failures.

So if your throwing a Fireball in my above even ended example that fireball has the same overall range but it would be going up against reflex. So 5% chance you miss and they completely avoid the spell, 45% chance they avoid a good bit of it and its a glance, 45% chance you hit and a 5% chance it hit with extra intensity. That's kinda how these attributes effect 'everything' for every class equally. Playing a super dexterous mage is a very real thing even when your talking about just casting spells.

As for which update its in? That's harder, I mean this was the 70th one... I can do a search see if I can find it. It's actually in 2 updates that I know of, first one was the initial iteration of it which didn't include missing at all. Was a 50% glance, 45% hit and 5% crit or maybe it was 50/40/10 or whatever. Either way after weeks of discussion few updates later Sawyer went into explaining the updated version with the miss chance and how it effects all the defenses and whatnot.

Ahh just remembered the wiki probably has the information so checked on that, here's the WIKI entry that details it out - http://eternity.gamepedia.com/Attack_Resolution

-edit-

And that wiki page had the update number! - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63207-update-39-non-core-classes-cooldowns-attack-resolution-damage-vs-armor-and-a-tileset/

Oh and I can't remember where, but Sawyer mentioned they're no longer doing a 'max/min damage for the -50% or +50% (glance/crits) it's now the normal damage ranges with the 50% penalty or bonus. I kind of liked the max/min base thing for the increase/decrease effect but with the way things slide, you could end up with a lot of grazes or a lot of crits and getting no variation in that vs those few enemies with super low or super high defenses could be a bit... boring, or problematic, think that's why its randomized now.

Edited by Adhin
  • Like 1

Yeah no worries, It is one of the most common methods for handling crit chance (DnD being some awkward outlier.. sort of).

I feel like I've been to much off topic with non-direct attribute stuff so imma go ahead and just mention the one point someone said about making might act differently depending on class. I think things done on a per-class basis is kind of interesting, but not when it comes to attributes. They are meant to be a representation of a global expected physical trait (yes im consider intelligence as a physical trait in this case, all be it a more abstract 'well your brains physical thing' kinda... way).

I'd rather Might just be a representation of your 'effective strength' (adjusted by general 'size' (or well, height/size category) instead of just super-muscle man. I mean you got body builders which look super crazy buff... but then you have the strong men competition guys who actually lift and perform absurd feats of strength that body builders don't really train for. Plus you know military training and martial arts is more about your 'effective strength' then your actual physical appearance.

Anyway, point is, if you have a lot of might I expect your character to win in arm wrestling, being able to bash open doors or push boulders around not just manage it via magic cause your a mage. I mean if your a 'mage' and you could manage it with a spell then might should have little effect on that, other then maybe how effectively you moved it. See Lephys example of leverage. 10 Might vs 18 might, both could move the boulder with leverage, the 18 might just wouldn't need as long of a stick. That and I doubt priests have special boulder-lifting miracles.

• Like 2