Philosophical or Legal for the virtual - What is "Ownership"?

Raithe

Out of the copyright/trademark/patent intellectual property trinity. I think that Trademarks are the least objectionable, though I HATE the guys who abuse it by playing at trademark "realestate"(hijacking trademark so they can leverage them back to the companies for a price)

My feeling is that many problems are caused by the emphasis in US legal circles on the letter of the law without the faintest interest in what the law is for. This makes lots of work for lawyers, but the second and third order effects are bonkers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, here's some more food for thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0

Basically, it's Wildcard Games swooping down on TotalBiscuit, issuing a "copyright strike" on him, arguing that he's endorsing products (ads) with material from their copyrighted game The Day One Garry's Incident, while, in fact, just wanting to silence his criticism.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

My feeling is that many problems are caused by the emphasis in US legal circles on the letter of the law without the faintest interest in what the law is for. This makes lots of work for lawyers, but the second and third order effects are bonkers.

The problem always starts with us, some will always find how to abuse the letter of the law, scheming the system for their own benefit and many lawyers offer their service for exactly that purpose. Unfortunatelly this sometimes leaves the little people in the crossfire. That how it is, because it is impossible to make a perfect law, just as its impossible to win a war on crime, the goal is always to marginalize the problematic elements, sometimes through offer a legal alternative, that would suit the majority far better.

As for US legal circles, I assume you speak of piracy laws? which at some point has become really harsh, that probably because in certain circles piracy became the norm, especially in poorer third world countries, where many people only consume pirated goods of the internet and those who pays are perceived as the odd ones.

Well, here's some more food for thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0

Basically, it's Wildcard Games swooping down on TotalBiscuit, issuing a "copyright strike" on him, arguing that he's endorsing products (ads) with material from their copyrighted game The Day One Garry's Incident, while, in fact, just wanting to silence his criticism.

The core problem here is not Wildcard Games or anyone else doing dirty promotions on youtube, but how youtube implemented their latest anti piracy system. IMO with the amount of content uploaded to youtube every second, youtube has no choice to use anything other than automated system(especially in-light of services that specifically designed to circumvent anti copyright methods that just auto upload/re-upload stuff) and I completely understand youtube take down policy, only an idiot would want to become a third party to a legal argument between two parties(with the ammount of content they have, they can drown in it).

With that said, people like TotalBiscuit are their content creators and they should try to be more creative in how they can avoid such situations and or offer better tools for users to deal with it.

The core problem here is not Wildcard Games or anyone else doing dirty promotions on youtube, but how youtube implemented their latest anti piracy system. IMO with the amount of content uploaded to youtube every second, youtube has no choice to use anything other than automated system(especially in-light of services that specifically designed to circumvent anti copyright methods that just auto upload/re-upload stuff) and I completely understand youtube take down policy, only an idiot would want to become a third party to a legal argument between two parties(with the ammount of content they have, they can drown in it).

With that said, people like TotalBiscuit are their content creators and they should try to be more creative in how they can avoid such situations and or offer better tools for users to deal with it.

Thank you for that info. I had no idea. You learn something new every day. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***